Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: New Martin ukes

I’m always amazed at how long Martin threads get. I’d like to seem them out I. The word “Koa pattern” pm the concert. The Tenor StreetMaster looks cool but agreemfretboard should be darker.....and I’m not sure on the graphtech tuners. I like the look. I want to like these tuner. So many bad reports. As pointed out.......Grover open back are likely a better option....but Gotoh UPT would be the ticket and offer this StreetMaster at $599.

The reality is ukuleles at Martin are not a priority or Martin. IMHO. They did SAVE the company.....Chris Martins words back in the day! Too bad they don’t innovate or at least try to build More, use mahogany or what ever and try to be in the K brands market. They have such a good name and brand recognition. Currently, I’d consider the StreetMaster when I can play one myself and I’ll keep an open mind but would much rather buy this Martin with UPT’s straight from the factory.

Also, IMHO, Martin should be selling them Uke dealer and bypass the guitar dealers. nice to hear MIM has then. Support MIM.

One gripe I have about Martin ukes is the cheap quality wood they use for their bridges. They aren't finished. The grain is loose and compresses easily. And it looks terrible. Especially against a dark body.

I got my 1T IZ tenor at a nearby guitar shop. They got it directly from Martin in Nazareth. I decided to change the string after playing it for two weeks. And I was shocked to see that the factory strings had compressed deep grooves into the tie bar bridge. It's raw, unfinished rosewood. But the quality is awful. I love the uke otherwise.

I did apply a little Music Nomad Fret One to it to darken it up a bit. It looks slightly better.

I thought I had read that Martin had responded to complaints about their shoddy bridges and was using a better grade of wood. But they still look cheap in recent photos for a $1600 tenor. This photo was taken after I applied the Fret One oil, but before I restrung the uke. I put a piece of C-String under the wrapped strings, and it seems to help minimize the grooves. I've never had another tenor with this bad a bridge problem. Especially one this new.

Bridge Grooves adj.jpg
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 03-29-2021 at 12:25 PM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Ukulele Magazine reviews the new Martin T1 StreetMaster tenor and 0XK concert ukuleles, with sound samples
    https://www.ukulelemag.com/gear-revi...ordable-prices

I agree with the comment about the bridges. . The bridges on their new ukuleles look really bad in comparison to the rest of the uke.
    The new 5k's bridge looks terrible , not the bridge for a very expensive uke.
    Last edited by Pukulele Pete; 04-04-2021 at 06:29 AM. Reason: wont tell
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

I always hoped that Martin would release a concert OXK. Would anyone who has one post a sound sample?
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Pono MC, Concert

I bought an OXK and returned it the same day. Volume was very low. The sound wasn’t very nice at all. I think my outdoor carbon sounds much better and the frets were sticking out passed the fretboard so bad it was unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank Williams View Post
    Anybody else see these? I was hoping they would come out with something new.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/
    https://www.martinguitar.com/ukuleles/
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Have any others here tried the new OXK concert?
    John

I just checked this sound sample

It has tenor-like sound, even guitar-like to my ears for such a small body

I actually quite liked the tone

But I could also tell that some people will not like it at all
    Last edited by Bernstein; 05-14-2021 at 04:38 PM.

The video reminded me of my Enya HPL concert sound. Better or Worse? I don't play mine often so I don't know. It just sounds about the same to me.

Thread Information