Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Martin ukes

First, let me say to the original poster, Blank Williams, thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen any of the new stuff coming from Martin.

Secondly, let me say to the original poster, Blank Williams, dammit why did you post this! I wasn't planning to buy any more ukes this year! :-)

All kidding aside, I do find the OXK concert very intriguing. I have an OXK soprano, and it is a great workhorse of an instrument. Plays nice, sounds great, and I don't have to worry about it at all.

Well looks like I know what I'm buying this year...
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2 (special) | Kanile'a K-1 C | Bruko #6
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Can‘t believe they went with the Graphtech tuners even on the higher end ukes. Aside from that, the concerts look pretty decent.

Haha sorry Cluze! I got excited even though I must admit I was hoping for something more like the c1k but mahogany, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig. View Post
    Can‘t believe they went with the Graphtech tuners even on the higher end ukes. Aside from that, the concerts look pretty decent.
    I found this to be very surprising as well. On an otherwise premium instrument, I would not have expected budget tuners.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2 (special) | Kanile'a K-1 C | Bruko #6
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Quote Originally Posted by badhabits View Post
    wonder what the street price will be. that hpl looks almost like cork to me, and that pale fretboards makes me sad. it's got friction tuners too
    I bet these are close to the street prices. Looks like Martin dropped their website prices on existing models to the prices that major dealers were already selling them for. I don't see anyone selling the Martin C1K for less than the $499 price on the Martin website. When the Martin 0XK soprano was available, the retail price was usually more than $300.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank Williams View Post
    Haha sorry Cluze! I got excited even though I must admit I was hoping for something more like the c1k but mahogany, oh well.
    They did make a C1 uke in mahogany, it was called the C1 Uke Special. There is one on eBay now, but all the examples I've seen there (about a dozen over the last year or 2) are being sold in Japan, and rather overpriced at around $1k.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-2018-M...4AAOSwAVheuQgx
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Cluze View Post
    I found this to be very surprising as well. On an otherwise premium instrument, I would not have expected budget tuners.
    I'd consider the usual Grover 9w tuners on the C1K and T1K ukes as budget tuners, at about $15.00/set retail. The Graphtech Ratio geared tuners are closer to $30.00/set retail.
    John

I actually was aware of the Japanese C1 ukes, I was hoping they would start selling them to the western market. And you’re right they are way too expensive. I wish the mainland US was as into ukes as Japan.

Regarding the street master, I'd love to know if they actually apply the finish in an intentional design to mimic wear, or if it's just that the finish is very thin so there are random lighter spots. If it's an actual design I wouldn't be interested (too artificial), but if it's just thin finish I could see that looking more natural and I'd be interested.
    Last edited by McCall; 01-14-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McCall View Post
    Regarding the street master, I'd love to know if they actually apply the finish in an intentional design to mimic wear, or if it's just that the finish is very thin so there are random lighter spots. If it's an actual design I wouldn't be interested (too artificial), but if it's just thin finish I could see that looking more natural and I'd be interested.
    according to the site, it's "ultra-thin finish creates a beautifully weathered appearance". I'm not interested in the finish as much as I am in the mahogany wood. The finish doesn't look bad, but I would prefer a normal finish for mahogany instead of a faux aged look. But I really only care about the wood at a significant savings over the 1TIZ. I wouldn't mind putting new tuners on it for $75 more either.

It is possible that the price may be $100 cheaper through a dealer, like it usually is, but I doubt it.

It seems strange that the T1K and C1K are the same price though.
    Last edited by Mike $; 01-14-2021 at 11:07 AM.

Thread Information