GCEA on a Baritone

Griole

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi, All -
I'm primarily a Baritone guy, and I'm thinking about stringing one of my Bari's to GCEA. That's linear tuning, not reentrant gCEA. Every set of "Low G" strings I've looked at turns out to be gCEA, regardless of them being called "Low G".

Have any of you found a ready-made set of strings that are truly GCEA, rather than gCEA? I know I can buy a single low G string separately, but I'd rather get a real low G set without buying an extra single string, if that's possible.

Let me know if you've had the same idea, and have been successful in finding a set that gets the job done. Thanks!

Jerry

Same pitch as a tenor uke. I'm just trying to find a string set that I can use "right out of the box". Thanks.

UkeLogic makes sets. They sounded good to my ears. Unfortunately they are no longer listed on the ukulele site.

I took them off when I sold my baritone. I may still have them in a box.

I haven't experimented with it, but I suspect the high A string gauge might be a challenge with the scale length of a baritone. Someone else may chime in on that.

-Wiggy

Last edited:
Dirk from Southcoast, wrote the reason he was against that tuning on a baritone was it wouldn't drive the soundboard efficiently. Boy, I miss that man, and his wonderful strings.

Living Water makes a set. You can also use the top 4 strings of a classical guitar set. You may have to experiment to find a tension you like. Personally I think standard tension sets work best a step lower - FBbDG so I would opt for a lower tension set if I really wanted GCEA

I appreciate all the info provided by all of you. UU is a great family!

Top Bottom