Thread: Martin OX strings

Default Martin OX strings

I am curious if anyone has found that they prefer any different strings on their Martin OX/OXK or if the standard Martins seem to be the best overall choice. Certainly Martins seem to be a good all around string with many instruments

Never had an OXK, but they sounded great on my OX bamboo, which is basically the same thing. Great all around string IMO. The only thing is, the C string is fatter than many other sets. Works fine on most, but can be boomy on some ukes. I find Worth Clears similar, but the C string is a bit thinner, which sometimes balances better. The Martins sound perfect on my Flea concert, after trying a bunch of sets on that one.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-16-2021 at 06:43 AM.
    John

Yes, that is my only real complaint about the Martins. The C can be a bit thuddy and not ring as much
    Last edited by EDW; 01-16-2021 at 06:28 AM.

It sounds as though you are talking about the Martin Fluorocarbon Clear (600, 620, 630) strings. Or, are you referring to the Martin Premium Graphite Grey Polygut (605, 610, 625) strings that come standard on all Martins made in PA?

Thanks.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

The Martin 600 clear

I have the Martin OX, and find Living Water strings to be my favorite. I found them to be better balanced across all strings, with less boom to the C string. I also like a slightly thicker gauge A string than the Martin 600 offers; especially when playing clawhammer style. It's all personal preference; Martin 600's are great strings too!

I also have put Living Waters on my OXK and find the sound to clearer and cleaner.
    - Laura

Martin, KoAloha, Brueko, Mele, Mainland, Outdoor, Kala, Enya, Harmony, Tempo, Globe, Shima, Vega, Silvertone, Kay, Luna, Vorson, Drewek, Zither Heaven, First Act

Thread Information