Martin OX strings

EDW

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has found that they prefer any different strings on their Martin OX/OXK or if the standard Martins seem to be the best overall choice. Certainly Martins seem to be a good all around string with many instruments

Never had an OXK, but they sounded great on my OX bamboo, which is basically the same thing. Great all around string IMO. The only thing is, the C string is fatter than many other sets. Works fine on most, but can be boomy on some ukes. I find Worth Clears similar, but the C string is a bit thinner, which sometimes balances better. The Martins sound perfect on my Flea concert, after trying a bunch of sets on that one.

Last edited:
Yes, that is my only real complaint about the Martins. The C can be a bit thuddy and not ring as much

Last edited:
It sounds as though you are talking about the Martin Fluorocarbon Clear (600, 620, 630) strings. Or, are you referring to the Martin Premium Graphite Grey Polygut (605, 610, 625) strings that come standard on all Martins made in PA?

Thanks.

The Martin 600 clear

I have the Martin OX, and find Living Water strings to be my favorite. I found them to be better balanced across all strings, with less boom to the C string. I also like a slightly thicker gauge A string than the Martin 600 offers; especially when playing clawhammer style. It's all personal preference; Martin 600's are great strings too!

I also have put Living Waters on my OXK and find the sound to clearer and cleaner.

Top Bottom