Season 466- If You Want Blood (You Got It)

Yukio

Reaction score
Avē Imperātor, moritūrī tē salūtant!

Gird your loins and prepare your ukulele for combat. "The people are only anxious for two things, bread and circuses." Bread we need to survive, but for this Season, we want blood.

Hail, Caesar!

Caesar demands spectacle. Wallowing in grandiose excess is a day-in-day-out-affair for the Emperor of the World, so you, fellow Seasonista, have got to be prepared to give it your all. Caesar wants blood-- and YOU'VE GOT IT!

Let it rain. Melt the strings of your instrument as you shred an instrumental passage or sing with intensity enough to cough up part of your left lung. Spit it out upon the stage and drive on to the final chorus. Submit, for our pleasure, your most extremely felt performance of any song of your choosing.

The Roman Games were perhaps one of history's most extreme forms of popular entertainment, but there is something about some musical performances that have a similar vibe: Bearing witness to a performer going to the utmost limit of their musical abilities is something that can stir the masses and win Caesar's approval. Of course, you might also crash and burn.... but that is a risk that you will have to take if you want to play our little game.

If it is a sad song, try to plumb the absolute depths of that feeling. If it is outrage that is being expressed, let the flames burn high and bright. If complex arrangements are your thing, layer it deep enough to make our heads spin. If it is for love or beauty that you sing, let us feel it to the fullest extent possible, so that we may weep together for joy.

THERE IS A SECOND (perhaps 'safer") OPTION FOR THOSE WHO (for whatever reason) WOULD RATHER NOT GO TO EXTREMES:

You may bring any song mentioning BLOOD or BLEEDING in the title or lyrics.

Here are some basic guidelines: Ukuleles front and centre. Other instruments and multi tracking are fine as long as the ukulele is prominent. Please use only recordings you put together this week and mention Season 466 somewhere in the video or in the description field. Originals welcome and encouraged! Collaborations as well. This "regular" 8-day season starts at 00:00:00 Hawaii time on Sunday January 17 and ends 23:59:59 Hawaii time on Sunday January 24.

SONG LIMITS: Blood or bleeding songs are limited to one-per-day. "Extreme performances" should be limited to one or two submissions over the entire Season for each performer or collaborative group. (You may judge this limit for yourself, but it is certainly hard to give it your all every day!) It might be nice to mention somewhere that you are bravely testing your own boundaries on these 'extreme' submissions.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please don't feel intimidated by all this talk of bloody extremity. This Season is intended to be taken as a fun exercise and to encourage you to explore new possibilities for self-expression on your instrument.

PLAYLIST

Now, I want you all to bleed for me.
-Yukio

Last edited:
Ye gods ... what fun!

Chris when you forensically examine the blood splatter of my submission - you may conclude I have committed kazooicide!

Straight to the Lion's Den. Do not pass "GO," do not collect $200....

“Infamy! Infamy! They’ve all got it in for me!” Couldn’t resist a quotation from the late great Kenneth Williams in the role of Julius Caesar in Carry On Cleo. Fantastic theme Christopher. Not sure if I’ll get round to contributing but I remain sanguine (see what I did there?)

“Infamy! Infamy! They’ve all got it in for me!” Couldn’t resist a quotation from the late great Kenneth Williams in the role of Julius Caesar in Carry On Cleo. Fantastic theme Christopher. Not sure if I’ll get round to contributing but I remain sanguine (see what I did there?)
John, getting a video from you these days is like getting blood out of a stone!

I played this one with just baritone uke at the Zoominista meet last night, and our glorious host suggested that it might be a good fit for the season. So I have since given it the full treatment - any excuse to run riot with a Vince Clarke song! :) Thanks Christopher! :)
Headphones recommended!

Last edited:
For Ukulele Underground's Season of the Ukulele number 466, here's "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" by Black Sabbath, for concert ukulele with singing and whistling, overdubs of Ashbory Ubass, fuzz ukulele, and secondary vocal.

Heavy NYLON!

Thanks for hosting, Chris... er, I mean Caesar!!

Last edited:

Let it bleed, John. It would be terrific to have you contribute something musical, but it is certainly nice of you to drop by to inject something of a humorous vein into our Season.

Top Bottom