Thread: Review: Ohana BKT-70G Short Scale Baritone Ukulele

Default Review: Ohana BKT-70G Short Scale Baritone Ukulele

I like this idea a lot: baritone body with tenor neck, for those that want baritone resonance with tenor feel. I find GCEA tuning on a baritone a bit tight for my personal tastes.

This one would do great with linear Low G tuning.

Longer UkeGuide and short One Minute Ukulele Reviews below.

My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Good thoughts. I guess Ohana is thinking the market for this is primarily for those who want to play in GCEA.....how do you think this would do as a true Bari? There are strings out there that would work - the advantage is the shorter neck makes those longer finger stretches between frets for killer chords more accessible. Seems like Ohana could do well to give buyers the option of which way they wanted to have it strung.

I'd check in with Ken Middleton (Living Water Strings) and see what he would suggest. Certainly reentrant dGBE tuning would be feasible--I wonder about the low D. I'm sure it has been done and will be done again!
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Thanks for the review. I'm really interested in trying this one out with the baby baritone strings from Pepe Romero - the shorter scale length baritone appeals to me.

I really like your review methodology. Starting off your reviews by playing the instrument is really really appreciated. I am somewhat annoyed by reviews that start off with a lot of narrative before (finally!) playing the instrument.

I have this Ohana baritone-bodied tenor ukulele & love it. I tuned it down to Bb (with low F on 4th string) because that baritone body deserves to have some full-sounding low notes in order to show what it can really do. Tuned C, it's mostly "just another tenor." Tuned Bb, it's an instrument that makes a crowded room suddenly go quiet & listen.

I just wish someone would make this type of tenor-scale/barry-body combo with an all-solid mahogany body, priced around $1000 or under..
    Last edited by bellgamin; 01-24-2021 at 11:22 PM.
    Make UU smile: Support the Forum.

Thread Information