Humidifier placement question

DavidGuitar95010

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Sorry for such a NOOB question, but where in the case do you put the humidifier inside the case? It seems to make more sense to put it under the headstock (picture on right), but then you get lots of rattle with the canister hitting the ukulele. But if you put it in the box (picture on left) then it is separated somewhat from the location of the ukulele. Thoughts?

There are other posts in the forum on humidifiers but nothing I found answered this question. Thanks!

Attachments

• 36E408DE-0817-43D9-9290-2FE9703D4196.jpg
    36E408DE-0817-43D9-9290-2FE9703D4196.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 3ECBF0FA-1713-4375-A373-DA7BD3448DC7.jpg
    3ECBF0FA-1713-4375-A373-DA7BD3448DC7.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 67
I'd highly recommend getting an Oasis humidifier instead. The humidifier goes inside the body of the uke and hangs from the strings. Then all the humidity is released inside the body where it is needed most. As far as your specific question with that specific type of humidifier, I'd place it in the headstock space but I wouldn't be confident in the effectiveness of that type of humidifier in either location.

Oasis.jpg

Last edited:
I use the Oasis, that way it can hang inside the body of the uke. They can be a little pricey, if you have several (or more) ukes to humidify, but I think considering the cost of my ukes it is well worth it.

Your existing humidifier can go next to the heel of the uke. You can wrap a rag around the side of the humidifier so it doesn't rattle.

I've read and tested it, that humidifiers in the headstock area don't get the humidity to the main compartment very well. The raised compartment stops most of the air circulation.

Oasis humidifiers are very good. In the winter I had to refill them every 2 weeks with distilled water.

I like the Boveda or D'Addario humidpacks for stringed instruments. But I strongly encourage getting them with the sleeves. I have had two older humidpacks get damp patches on the side. I assume the crystalized material inside broke the inner envelope. Otherwise, the dampness could have sat against the wood of the uke and damaged the finish or warped the unfinished insides of the body.

I use 2 of the Music Nomad ukulele humidifiers in the soundhole of a concert uke.
The Oasis ones work well also and seem to hold moisture longer and more of it.

The larger Soprano ukes have a larger soundhole and can fit the larger guitar size Music Nomads depending on the uke sound hole size and how low the case lid fits over the uke. I also put one in the top of the headstock under the tuning keys and another on the outside of the body since we live in a dry area.

k

I just wanted to add that I just received my uke back from the luthier. I had some fret work done on the 16th fret. I have Oasis humidifiers and they work, but I got lazy and just kept my ukulele out 24/7. And I live in a dry climate. There was really no excuse for me. It was foolish to jeopardize $2000 investment because I didn't employ a little device that costs less than a meal at a restaurant. So use your humidifiers if your climate so dictates.

that humidifier is fine, no need to purchase a different one. Make sure to keep it moist. Put a cloth (old sock) around it to avoid rattle.

Eugenio

I use water beads in a container ( coin tube with threaded cap) in the sound-hole. Under the head stock I place a soap dish with waterbeads & a sponge.

Water bead humidifier

Maybe the answer lies in a study of why you are using a humidifier?

The humidifier contains water molecules which are needed to move in and out of wood to stop it drying and cracking. How do the water molecules get from the humidifier into the space around the wood? Where do you place the humidifier so that the water molecules can easily move around near the wood in the case when the lid is closed? If you put the humidifier under the headstock in the case, and close the lid, is there a pathway for the molecules to get to the wood in the body?

Beginners who need to ask this question may need to do some work to research humidification and moisture content of wood. Then the answer to where to place the humidifier will be obvious.
I have a 1 cm long hairline surface crack at the bottom of the lower bout, on the outside (koa). It is not obvious to me whether I should figure out a way to get moisture really close to the crack (maybe bag the uke in plastic) or just assume the moisture will be good enough coming from inside the sound hole.

I use the Oasis humidifier in the sound hole and a humidifier made from a 35mm film container with holes punched in the top and a small sponge inside. I just put it in around the headstock and neck of the uke. Works great for me.

Top Bottom