Voice and electric uke through mixer

Kimosabe

Reaction score
Anyone had any half way decent luck recording with a Yeti and electric uke simultaneously into GB using a mixer?

I understand that the microphone will pick up the electric uke, in this case really a Ubass, but maybe a noise gate can filter out some of this noise.

By no means a perfect studio but I have managed some decent recordings recording one track at a time but I’d like to be able to sing and play to capture a better feel.

Well, you will have a much easier time recording simultaneously to two tracks instead of trying to mix first and record as a single track. That way you can control the recording levels independently and make sure you're getting good levels for each. Later, you can treat each track separately and mix together with much more control. For example, a high pass filter on the vocal track will cut out most of the bass and you can then adjust just the vocal level, etc.

I never recorded an electric instrument, so can't really answer you question. But I recorded stuff with a Blue Yeti, and I dont really understand where the mixer comes in.
The Yeti is a USB mic, right?

Well, you will have a much easier time recording simultaneously to two tracks instead of trying to mix first and record as a single track. That way you can control the recording levels independently and make sure you're getting good levels for each. Later, you can treat each track separately and mix together with much more control. For example, a high pass filter on the vocal track will cut out most of the bass and you can then adjust just the vocal level, etc.

Okay. I appreciate that. Any advice on an inexpensive way to record two separate tracks simultaneously into Garage Band? And any advice or recommendations on settings for high pass vocal filter to filter out bass?

I never recorded an electric instrument, so can't really answer you question. But I recorded stuff with a Blue Yeti, and I dont really understand where the mixer comes in.
The Yeti is a USB mic, right?

I guess what I didn’t makeckear is that I want to get a direct feed of the bass into Garage Band, not just having a microphone pick up bass and voice.

I guess what I didn’t makeckear is that I want to get a direct feed of the bass into Garage Band, not just having a microphone pick up bass and voice.

Yeah, I just dont get how the Yeti fits in then. Is there a mixer you can plug USB mics into?
I thought that mixers goes with regular mics.

Last edited:
Okay. I appreciate that. Any advice on an inexpensive way to record two separate tracks simultaneously into Garage Band? And any advice or recommendations on settings for high pass vocal filter to filter out bass?

you need a two input audio interface. You'll want to look for ones with the right inputs and outputs for your hardware but many have a direct line input for guitar/bass and another for microphone. I'm less sure about the USB mic you have. It may be that you could run that directly into Gb and have a single input audio interface for the bass.

On the high pass filter question, you generally want to set it just under your lowest fundamental note. For male vocal that would like be somewhere about 150Hz but obviously could be lower or higher. Basically turn it up until you're audibly affecting the vocal then back down a bit.

You will need an USB audio input device for the bass. I use a Sarahmonic USB mini mixer ($60 at Amazon) for my bass with a quarter inch to eighth inch adapter. I have a Neewer USB mic. I also have an A/B switch to direct the bass to the speakers or to record. I then had to use the Audio MIDI Setup app in Utilities, to combine the two USB inputs so GarageBand could recognize each one.

In GarageBand I went to Preferences>Audio/MIDI>Input Devices and chose that item. Next I added two tracks, choosing input 1 for the Neewer mic, and input 2 for the Sarahmonic mixer. Then I had to set GarageBand to record both tracks simultaneously. I first looked up the GarageBand User Guide, but I also had to call Apple Support to guide me through the details. It’s certainly not user friendly.

GarageBand setup live record 2.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
It looks like apostrophes and quotes are causing the problem. Either change the settings on the computer to use plain ones or try not to use them. This forum service does not support fancy quote marks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom