That Peter Howlett soprano at Gryphon

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone here on UU nabbed the '97 Island Koa sop that sat at Gryphon for a little while, now sold. Built and signed by the esteemed Peter Howlett.

They didn't realize what they had at first, but I see they righted the description:

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products/1997-soprano-island-koa-ukulele-koa-soprano-58836

It's a sister to my soprano of the same vintage.
A Howlett soprano is rare here in the US (maybe anywhere), so I thought it would be fun to know where this one ended up.

Anyone else have an Island Koa instrument?
Mr. Howlett might correct me, but I believe this company was Peter Howlett's first serious building venture...
Gryphon mentions that it's as loud as a concert. Mine too, loud and fine. I think about selling then I fall in love with it all over again.

Here's some pics of mine, for fun. I don't know what made it a prototype. Maybe that Hawaiian like back and the extended fretboard. The wood is gorgeous with its satin finish...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RPnTHvA44o7EAsnz6

Last edited:
BTW- that is not Jake. He is in VT. This is a place in CA

Here's what Pete wrote about it on Facebook a while back. Since it was a public post (I think), I hope, it's okay, to re-post on here:

This particular instrument is true Howlett History that comes before I branded my ukulele with my name. It was made from some exceptional koa logged on a plantation in the Big Island back in the 1990's by Winkler Snr. I used to buy koa from them in billet form, kiln shorts: what is now termed.. well, you chose? 5A, master-grade, private stock or any other absurd hyperbole to describe what the industry poetically called 'premium full curl' back in 1995. It was incredibly light and subtly figured. I made Weissenborns from it and the 'waste' went into these sopranos. There's about 10 from this period, mostly sold out of stores in the US and considered the 'bench mark' Howlett sopranos by the likes of Stan Werbin, John Bernunzio, and other experts who know their stuff.

It's now that my legacy is being written as these old first generation, PK instruments return to the fore in the 'pre-owned' market. This one is numbered 100!
I know Bob Gleason doesn't follow me but, "Hey Bob, I did actually stay the course..." - yep, in the early days in Hawaii they all thought I was a William King, (remember him?) or Dave Means, (sadly no longer making) or any of those other off-islanders trying to usurp locals... yes, it was quite a strained relationship in those early days and I couldn't get noticed because the all important "Made in the USA" label did not appear in my instruments. You must remember folks I am talking pre-Kala and the Revolution when only 'Americans' could build decent ukulele! Thank goodness that prejudice was destroyed by Mike Upton, Johnson Lao, the folks at Ko'Olau and the new breed of Asian builders bringing excellent production and bespoke ukulele to the market.

Well folks, the proof of the pudding is here. I made it out the other side and now no longer making a 'standard' style instruments, continued sales and demand for my work has never been stronger, thanks in no small part to the internet which has connected me to all of you who have raised me out of obscurity into the light �� Thanks folks.

I own a Howlett koa soprano myself and it's the one and only I'd keep if I really had to pick only one ukulele.

No problem. Always hard to keep track of. I just did not want someone looking for him there if they needed work

Here's what Pete wrote about it on Facebook a while back. Since it was a public post (I think), I hope, it's okay, to re-post on here:

This particular instrument is true Howlett History that comes before I branded my ukulele with my name. It was made from some exceptional koa logged on a plantation in the Big Island back in the 1990's by Winkler Snr. I used to buy koa from them in billet form, kiln shorts: what is now termed.. well, you chose? 5A, master-grade, private stock or any other absurd hyperbole to describe what the industry poetically called 'premium full curl' back in 1995. It was incredibly light and subtly figured. I made Weissenborns from it and the 'waste' went into these sopranos. There's about 10 from this period, mostly sold out of stores in the US and considered the 'bench mark' Howlett sopranos by the likes of Stan Werbin, John Bernunzio, and other experts who know their stuff.

It's now that my legacy is being written as these old first generation, PK instruments return to the fore in the 'pre-owned' market. This one is numbered 100!
I know Bob Gleason doesn't follow me but, "Hey Bob, I did actually stay the course..." - yep, in the early days in Hawaii they all thought I was a William King, (remember him?) or Dave Means, (sadly no longer making) or any of those other off-islanders trying to usurp locals... yes, it was quite a strained relationship in those early days and I couldn't get noticed because the all important "Made in the USA" label did not appear in my instruments. You must remember folks I am talking pre-Kala and the Revolution when only 'Americans' could build decent ukulele! Thank goodness that prejudice was destroyed by Mike Upton, Johnson Lao, the folks at Ko'Olau and the new breed of Asian builders bringing excellent production and bespoke ukulele to the market.

Well folks, the proof of the pudding is here. I made it out the other side and now no longer making a 'standard' style instruments, continued sales and demand for my work has never been stronger, thanks in no small part to the internet which has connected me to all of you who have raised me out of obscurity into the light �� Thanks folks.

I own a Howlett koa soprano myself and it's the one and only I'd keep if I really had to pick only one ukulele.

This must be the origins of the flamey koa on mine!
Thanks so very much for your post.
I'm a member but don't keep track of stuff on FB groups.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing pictures of your Island Koa, Tracie. It's really beautiful!

I live close to Gryphon (good and bad!) and picked up this Island Koa uke from Gryphon. Choice came down to this soprano by Pete Howlett or this koa made by Peter Hurney with Pohaku which is still there.

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products/2017-soprano-pohaku-ukulele-soprano-koa-58593

I couldn't go wrong with either one and they were both great. I have another uke made by Pohaku and one mahogany coming so decided on picking up the Island Koa.:eek:

Thanks for sharing pictures of your Island Koa, Tracie. It's really beautiful!

I live close to Gryphon (good and bad!) and picked up this Island Koa uke from Gryphon. Choice came down to this soprano by Pete Howlett or this koa made by Peter Hurney with Pohaku which is still there.

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products/2017-soprano-pohaku-ukulele-soprano-koa-58593

I couldn't go wrong with either one and they were both great. I have another uke made by Pohaku and one mahogany coming so decided on picking up the Island Koa.:eek:
Did you pick up the Ken Timms Cuban from Gryphon as well ? That might have been the one I sold to them :)
That was an awesome uke! Congrats! I kept the 17 fret version for myself.

Did you pick up the Ken Timms Cuban from Gryphon as well ? That might have been the one I sold to them :)
That was an awesome uke! Congrats! I kept the 17 fret version for myself.

No, I wish I did. It would have been cheaper :) Mine was from Ken through ebay, 12 fret version. With the currency conversion and shipping, I should have been patient and waited for one to show up on the UU Marketplace. Oh well...

Can't think of any more sopranos to add, love my soprano gang. Only thing I could really really want to end my UAS is a concert spruce from Mike Da Silva. Good thing he is local and I will keep bugging him.;)

Top Bottom