Short sides for tenor uke build

Leftypeter

Reaction score
I am in the process of a tenor build with primo koa. Upon careful measurement, to my horror, the sides are only 18 1/4 inches long and I need 18 + inches with my plan. Was going to do a bolt on neck but if I do a Spanish heel the sides don

I am in the process of a tenor build with primo koa. Upon careful measurement, to my horror, the sides are only 18 1/4 inches long and I need 18 + inches with my plan. Was going to do a bolt on neck but if I do a Spanish heel the sides don
I had that problem with one...So I left a large gap at the butt and inlayed a contrasting piece of rosewood...Turned out nice :)

I had that problem with one...So I left a large gap at the butt and inlayed a contrasting piece of rosewood...Turned out nice :)

Yes, yes, yes. The gap left won't be too big and just right for a butt graft. Just make sure you get the center of the gap exactly over the center of you your end block.

Yep...you can cheat at least 1/4" per side with a butt graft. Maybe more if you really commit to it

I thought 18 1/4" was 18"+

I typically leave 1/4" gap at butt for end grafts. You can also leave a 1/4"- 1/2" gap at the heel area as it all gets cut away anyway for a tenon, or dovetail.

A sharp cutaway would also take care of it.

Top Bottom