Cocobolo Change

Hard to tell, Jerry. Is it burned in or inlaid?

The lettering looks clunky to me, almost as if it was designed with a Sharpie.

I have always thought that all cocobolo wood look of their build made their brand instantly recognizable and they didn't need a name on the headstock.

I'd love to play one though.

Bluesy.

Hard to tell, Jerry. Is it burned in or inlaid?

The lettering looks clunky to me, almost as if it was designed with a Sharpie.

I have always thought that all cocobolo wood look of their build made their brand instantly recognizable and they didn't need a name on the headstock.

I'd love to play one though.

Bluesy.

I don't think it's burned in.

Enter the lotteries, and you'll eventually win.

Never have been a fan of Pegheads; especially for a slothead design. I agree Jerry, the logo takes away the classic design of the previous builds. The wood should be enough of a sign its a Cocobolo uke.

I'm having enough trouble resisting that spruce/rosewood LFDM that's for sale, and you, dear Sir, are a world class enabler! ;)

Bluesy.

Like most of the Facebook replies, I think that:

- The pegheds turned that way looks horrible, I dont know how magic fluke gets away with it somehow.
- The full name logo looks cheap
- A logo should not be necessary, but something better might be OK.

Furthermore, the middle post in the headstock looks very big compared to the outer ones. I would expect them to be more alike.

I don't mind the logo and I love slotted headstock. Can't remember if they've had those before on their ukes. I'll agree on the pegheds, they look awful on the slotted headstock and would suit a normal headstock much better.

Cocobolo has competition these days. There is a lot of confusion when a Cocobolo instrument is listed for sale. Is it the brand or the wood it's made from?

Some makers capitalize on that confusion. So I think that Cocobolo Brand Ukuleles has to make it clear that that is both the Brand with the excellent reputation and the wood used to make the instruments.

My standard Cocobolo tenor has Peghed tuners on its paddle headstock. The cutaway tenor, weirdly, has chrome open-geared tuners. I am indifferent about whether the tuner buttons are visible or not. To me it seems kind of odd not to see the ears.

I have Pegheds on my Fluke and Firefly, and they don't look any worse than the Grover friction tuners.

However, they don't stick out like these do on the Cocobolo; there will be a problem fitting that into a standard hardshell case. Generally speaking, if I have a slot head, I want geared tuners that are tuned from the back, like a classical guitar.

I'm, shall we say, less than impressed with the headstock logo. It looks clunky, and not as classy as even the Makala headstock logo. (Or the Riptide logo, when it moved from the headstock to the soundboard.)

I have two Cocobolo concerts - one with the string-through bridge, which I love and is spot-on as far as intonation goes, and the other has a tie bridge, and has some intonation problems. To me, that was the first change that I didn't like. This is the second.

Let's see if it gets worse.

-Kurt​

If Cocobolo wanted a logo other than just letters, I wonder if a simplified picture of the mountain on their labels could work in inlay?

These photos were part of a FB poll, where they were asking their FB followers if they liked it - as well as the slothead, and the peghead tuners. Most respondents didn't favor the engraved logo, or the pegheads. Cocobolo was looking to see what their customers liked and wanted on their ukes. I give them a lot of credit for that. The general consensus was that the logo wasn't that well liked. The options most favored are the rosette and the cutaway.

Top Bottom