Any new ideas about how to get rid of squeak with Aquila Sugar strings?

CYN

Reaction score
I just got a new uke with Aquila sugar strings on it and it is driving me crazy with the squeaking. I saw there has been other posts on this issue. Did anyone come up with something to reduce this or does it stop in time? They have a nice sound other that the darn squeaks.
Thanks.

I recall that Aquila came out with "Squeakless" sugar strings last year (yay to it being 2021). Might be that you got the older ones. Others should be able to chime in on what worked and did not work.

I use a silicon spray as well as for our roll up garage doors.

The thread about string noise reminds me of a story about one of Ronnie Hawkins' guitar players.

The Hawks were in the studio listening to a playback and Ronnie asked, "What's that squeaking sound every time you change positions?"
The guitar player said, "That's just string noise."
"Well I don't like it," said Ronnie. "Do it again with no string noise."
"Hell, everybody makes string noise. Even Segovia makes string noise," said the guitar player.
Ronnie said, "And you'll notice that he doesn't play in my band."

I will not tolerate string noise, and found the best remedy is to change to strings that don't make noise.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

The noise is particularly noticeable with dry fingers.

I think the general consensus was: lotion on the hands, or a little talcum powder. (If they still sell it.)

The original Sugar strings squeak went away after a couple of months on my Pono. I haven't tried the new ones.

The noise is particularly noticeable with dry fingers. I think the general consensus was: lotion on the hands, or a little talcum powder. (If they still sell it.) The original Sugar strings squeak went away after a couple of months on my Pono. I haven't tried the new ones.

I think it's utterly ridiculous to resort to putting something on your fingers to remedy bad string design, especially when there are so many strings available that don't squeak.

I think it's utterly ridiculous to resort to putting something on your fingers to remedy bad string design, especially when there are so many strings available that don't squeak.

I totally agree with this. Try some strings by Worth, Fremont or Living Waters. Or even the Nylgut Aquilas. I have ukes with all these strings and none of them squeak.

I don't mind the squeak, but like Chris said, it goes away pretty quickly.

I have some new squeakless ones on a Flea. They do not sqeak and i like the sound, but after a few months the outer layer has started to fray.

If you play a lot over a few months, you need to change the strings, no string played that much will last any longer. The leader of my group gives online lessons most of the day and says she changes strings every two months.

Fwiw- I liked the Sugars a lot. I thought the sound and response was great. Unfortunately, the squeaking drove me crazy. Nothing I tried helped for long. I eventually gave up on them. I tried the second iteration and found that for me they still squeaked. It did not take me long to give up on those as well. If I want strings that will be high maintenance I'll switch to gut!

I just switched to a set of Aquila Sugar strings for the first time.
I like them very much; they have a definite tactile feel to them, but the only way I can make them grunt (if not squeak) is if I engage a death-grip slide. In other words, in regular play they do not make excess noise.

The packaging on my set included both the gold "Squeakless!" sticker and are dated BE 5/2020.

@fowl, I'm sorry to hear yours started to fray, but appreciate the knowing of the potential.... I'll see how this goes!

~ S.

Strings and Beyond has the newer version of the Sugar strings. I confirmed by email first to make sure they all had the “Squeakless” sticker on the front of the pack before ordering. I ordered several packs during their last sitewide sale and I confirm all of them were squeakless.

The packaging on my set included both the gold "Squeakless!" sticker and are dated BE 5/2020.

Those new squeakless sugar strings squeak about as much as regular nylgut strings, i.e., not much at all. I personally experience squeaking only when stroking the string extremely gently with my thumb. Not something I do during regular playing.

The lotion on the hands helps for a while. I tried the new "squeakless" version as well. It's a bit better but not silent. Mind you, I didn't give it a chance to settle in. I seem to recall the second version lost a bit of the "chimeyness" of the originals. it probably comes down to your skin type - or if you just ate a greasy bag of chips :)

I think I'll just stick to Worth CMs.

The lotion on the hands helps for a while. I tried the new "squeakless" version as well. It's a bit better but not silent. Mind you, I didn't give it a chance to settle in. I seem to recall the second version lost a bit of the "chimeyness" of the originals. it probably comes down to your skin type - or if you just ate a greasy bag of chips :)

I think I'll just stick to Worth CMs.

That was my experience as well. I still found them to have a squeak for me. Perhaps it is the dryness of the skin, especially this time of year. I also agree that there was a little less chime or crispness to the sound. They are a good addition to the choices out there and I am glad that people have success with them.

Top Bottom