Double Top ukuleles

chenx2

Reaction score
Just out of my curiousity, are there any well-reviewed models of double top out there?
Seems only Blackbird Clara & Farallon have this feature.
Maybe it's too easy to get it over-built, so it's not common??

I don't quite understand. What you mean by "double top"?

I don't quite understand. What you mean by "double top"?

Two layers of very thin all solid soundboard with a lattice-like layer sandwiched in between to form the top of soundboard, that's what I mean. Also known as composite top; not a laminate in normal sense, I believe.
I saw this term from description of some guitars and curious if it can improve an ukulele's sound.

Huh. Never heard of that material before. I know several F1 race cars used a honeycomb material between thin aluminum skin. Before they all went to carbon fiber.

It added strength and rigidity and was lighter than the normal aluminum stressed-skin body of the time.

Makes sense that the wood version would work on an instrument.

Just out of my curiousity, are there any well-reviewed models of double top out there?

The Klos ukuleles also have a top that is a foam sandwich with a carbon fiber top and an underside of I don't know what. Interesting that both of my carbon fiber guitars (a Composite Acoustics GX and an Emerald X7) have "solid" carbon fiber tops, with no foam.

I think you've answered your own question. Ukuleles are lightweight delicate instruments and its too easy to overbuild them. Then if you really need the strength of a double top, then a regular laminated top would suffice.
I've only ever seen one double toped guitar and that was being used by a player (Daniele Champagne) who belts the bejesus out of his instruments. Seriously.

If I was going to belt the bejesus out of my ukuleles I would simply use a laminated top instrument.

Top Bottom