Tenor to Bari String Comparison

about2

Reaction score
So I know of two sources that allow your tenor uke to be tuned as a Bari (DGBE). You may ask, why would I want to do that?

1. You have an extra tenor laying around and want to tune it differently.
2. You think Bari's are cool, but are cash poor.
3. Your hand resists stretching from the second to the seventh fret on your baritone.
4. You suffer from Covid boredom.

I'm guilty of all the above. So I put Pepe Romero's "Baby Baritone" strings on my tenor. Liked em. But heard about Guadalupe's set designed to do the same thing and had to give em a go. The video is the result.

Couple things to note . . . the vid was made with my iPhone. 1. Decent quality but the strings sound way better than the phone mic could pick up. 2. The Guad's are very resonant - that the vid can't pick up - but the uke vibrants with them a ton....which means they are pure fun. 3. The Romero's are high tension but avoids "the squeaks" of the Guad's which some would find annoying. They are lovely but quieter.
4. I have no interest in either company - just offering my humble review. 5. If you are interested, Romero's can be purchased at Uke Like the Pro's and Guadalupe's can be purchased from their web-site. Cost is about the same.

Video: https://youtu.be/rvQ5W77Izik

I recently bari-tuned my Flight Phantom. I went with a third option you missed - a set of Fremont Blackline dGBE for Tenor, plus a Fremont Soloist. The Soloist is not marketed for this use, but it is as a low G for soprano, so, tension-wise, I figured it would be about the same as a Tenor low D.

I’m very happy with the result and can’t seem to put it down.

Ah - you are so right! I did miss the Fremont option. Love to hear what they sound like . . . care to post a clip?

Top Bottom