Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone play Kalimba?

My Kmise 17 arrived today, couldn't wait to have a go on it, find it quite intuitive really, so I think you need to stick the note names on it to get you started, John.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

That's good to hear, Keith. I'll take mine out of it's bag and have another go! They do produce a very pleasant sound.

I've remembered another reason (or excuse?) why I didn't persevere with the Kalimba - my cat has a very nervous disposition and he seemed to find it quite disturbing. Everybody is a critic!

John Colter

My cat didn't like harmonica!
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

my wife introduced me to the kalimba several years ago.
    such a gorgeous instrument.
    this is a song we recorded together a little while ago -
    the kalimba part she played is very spare but i think it really adds a lot to the simple arrangement we made.

A little inspiration for those of us who enjoy the kalimba ... April Yang playing Somewhere Over The Rainbow. (She has a YouTube channel, if you like this one and want to see more of her videos.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Et...vtsWu&index=10
    KoAloha KCM-00
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele
    Kala KA-SLNG
    Flight TUS35

I collected a few over the years. It was the instrument I spent time on before I got into ukuleles some eight years ago. Except one, they are all Hugh Tracey / AMI kalimbas: a 15-note G-tuned one (with soundbox), three chromatic kalimbas with tines on both sides (two with sound boxes, one without - was an oversight I ended up with two identical ones), one treble kalimba with 17 notes, three karimba models (one in Lotus tuning, another in a minor tuning, and one in an African tuning with little brass rings). I also got one of the Chinese 17-note models in C tuning that have been around for a few years, by Gecko (found it disappointingly quiet compared to the Hugh Tracey ones, but it was also substantially less expensive). Oh, and I have a Sansula Deluxe, with just 9 notes, but with a beautiful sound (but I feel it was too expensive and too much of a one-trick pony).

I have been meaning to sell most of these, but since they take up little space, I still have them all. I acquired them over the span of years, not all at once. :P Also went over board with ukuleles and then trimmed the heard. Luckily with banjos this has not happened! Only have one of those with a second one being built - no plans for more. No, really. :P They are not very collectible, just too large and expensive.

Thread Information