Stringed Humor

Yes, everyone respects ukulele players.

Yep! No jokes there. : )

I took a tour of the Martin factory, and before we started, the leader asked us if we had any Martins. I took a deep breath and said I had Martin ukuleles. He paused and said, "Tiny Tim, huh?" When I got home, I sent an email to the company saying that wasn't a good response. In the 1920s and 30s, it was the ukulele that kept the company afloat.

Wow, I agree, Jerry! I'm sure the Martin guy didn't have any ill intent, but his "Tiny Tim" remark came across as a bit of a put-down!

My dog leaves the room when I start playing. Everybody is a critic!

My dogs don't mind. Maybe they just like being with me, so they put up with "the noise."

While playing diatonic harmonica, I was bitten by an otherwise docile house cat.

In reference to Tiny Tim, it is a bit embarrassing. Ukulele is just an instrument and it can play any and everything, So the fact that so many ukulele players embrace the narrow spectrum of music epitomized by Tiny Tim, George Formby, and Cliff Edwards does leave me speechless. However it is my inspiration. I always try to move away from that sound. I never play sopranos, and if I ever sound tinny or flea-like, I quickly adjust what i'm doing. I'm not bashing those who are seeking to re-create that historical sound. If they have a goal and attain it, that is the best of all worlds. I'm just saying that my goal is different.

Fair enough, Ripock. I love the soprano (re-entrant aDF#B tuning) because I can use it to accompany my singing, and it's cool how the uke and the voice sort of stay out of each other's way.

Top Bottom