Soft flurocarbon strings

dianemartinez

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a Snail 598E which is an ebony laminate. It sounds really lovely and the strings on it are so soft and comfortable. It makes the ukulele really easy to play. The strings it came with aren't the Aquila which it should have had so I am thinking someone changed the strings before selling the ukulele to me. I have been trying really hard to find the same kind of strings for my Eastman EU3T and have now spent a fortune on strings. Has anyone out there got any idea what they might be? The shop I bought it from have no idea except that they are flurocarbon.

They are clear strings, really easy to stretch if I pull them sideways, almost bendy.

From your description, they sound as if they may be nylon

They may be a set of Daniel Ho PhD strings. Made of PVDF, they are soft and sound warm and wonderful.

Thank you. The guy in the shop I bought the ukulele from said they were flurocarbon but then he also said the ukulele was laminate mahogany when in fact it's laminate ebony! So I wouldn't be surprised if they were nylon. Are nylon a soft string then?

Thank you. The guy in the shop I bought the ukulele from said they were flurocarbon but then he also said the ukulele was laminate mahogany when in fact it's laminate ebony! So I wouldn't be surprised if they were nylon. Are nylon a soft string then?

It depends on the thickness. Fluorocarbon strings can be very thin to get desired tension as they are high density. Nylon strings are usually thicker. If they feel soft then it can also mean that they are at a low tension because they are thin. You can tell if tension is too low if the uke is not very loud and/or there is some buzzing when you play it hard.

Never heard of PhD strings before, but PVDF IS the same as fluorocarbon, polymerized from polyvinylidene difluoride.

Top Bottom