My First appearance on YouTube

Canada Jim

Reaction score
In 2008/2009 I met a couple of ukulele players, John Bird and David Newland who got me interested in adding the uke to my instrument arsenal. David co-hosted Toronto's Corktown Ukulele Jam and I had just gotten a $40 ukulele and since the admission was free if you had a uke with you, I took it along.
When we got there, we saw that the people on the open mic ranged from fantastic to absolute beginners, Maggie and I decided to grab a place at the open mic. I had been playing guitar since 1960, so I was not a complete beginner. We were mighty nervous, and were surprised to get a phone call the next day from David to tell us that we had been recorded and were on YouTube. I just found this video, which I haven't seen in a decade.

Last edited:
That is outstanding! And I loved the way you humbly exited the stage without delay, leaving them wanting more!

Hey! Really enjoyed that. You both were terrific. What a great find.

That was great. Looked like you, Maggie, and your uke were all color coordinated, even. :)
I bet that's a fond memory.

Well done Jim, both you and Maggie killed it. I started my ukulele playing at Corktown Uke Jam as well. I also did my first open mic performance there. They held a “Newbie Night” occasionally for first time performs only. It is a great way to take the pressure off beginners, especially if you pair up with others and form a group. This is a wonderful idea for all Uke Jams to consider.

Top Bottom