Joining from Jersey

NotJake

Reaction score
Hi. After some time lurking on this forum and being amazed by the amount of information that is shared, I decided to join. I am very new to playing the ukulele, having just started in December, so I will probably continue absorbing before sharing for a while.

I am currently learning on an inexpensive concert I purchased late November, as well as borrowing my daughter's very inexpensive "learn to play" soprano. Using YouTube and purchasing books to teach myself. The information provided from this forum has been invaluable. The only problem is, you have all already infected me with UAS and I am already searching for a tenor to add to my humble collection.

I am in Northern New Jersey and I hope one day to be just good enough to search out some local groups (once the current pandemic lets us all get together in person again) to jam with and discuss techniques. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and thank you all for piquing my interest in this wonderful instrument.

Hi NotJake, Welcome to the forum.

About joining a ukulele club. Don't let inexperience dissuade you from visiting and joining. Most clubs welcome new players and will help you as you learn. Joining in with other players really accelerates your growth.

Our club had a learners table. We had loaner ukes of each size for the newbies to try. And people who would go through the basics with them before the club's regular meeting began. The beginners were encouraged to sit in with the members and play along as best they could. I was a stone cold newbie with no instrumental background and I was warmly welcomed and included in the group's playing.

Of course with COVID, it will still be a while before the club will be resumed. But return it will.

Thanks for the welcome, and thank you Kenn2018 for the encouraging words about joining a club. Another thing for the post-COVID “to do” list.

Welcome!
Kenn is right! Joining a Zoom jam session group will enhance your playing and singing, and build your confidence, as long as the leaders know what they're doing.

Welcome!
Kenn is right! Joining a Zoom jam session group will enhance your playing and singing, and build your confidence, as long as the leaders know what they're doing.

Yes!

Weekly Jam

Every Saturday at 12:30, we meet and talk and play our ukes. Actual playing runs from 1:00 - 2:30. We play a dozen songs, plus requests. We play six, take requests, and then play the next six. The songs are available online in our songbooks. You can download the song books and print the individual songs for the week.

Songs link -
http://ukulelecatskill.com/downloads/

Zoom link -
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4841358377?pwd=K09lcTg3ZS9rS2tYQmg4dTdjb3JEQT09

Songs, with book number and page number -
Set 1
1. Blue Moon 4-5
2. One Meatball 4-32
3. I Had But Fifty Cents 1-21
4. Build Me Up Buttercup 2-8
5. Sleep Walk 3-37
6. I Want You 4-21

Set 2
1. The next song from South - Lost To Me - music will be provided at jam
2. Cover Of The Rolling Stone 3-7
3. Darling Be Home Soon 4-10
4. Secret Agent Man 3-36
5. With A Little Help From My Friends 2-47
6. I'll Fly Away 1-24

Going to try to make it, Jerry. May have to duck out a little early.

Thanks for the invitation.

Bluesy.

Hi NotJake! Jersey girl here. Welcome!

"Jrzy Girl" is the license plate of our postmaster. ;)
:D:shaka: my daughter, now living in NH, has jurzee on her plate. Cuz so many other Jersey Girl variations were already taken, lol.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. The Zoom jam sessions sound like a great idea. I am not quite there yet, but it is something to think about for once I can get some of those “stretchier” chords down. If only I could get slimline fingers to replace my current set.

Top Bottom