50 states ukulele collection idea

Ziret

Reaction score
I was gazing with some pride at my ukulele collection last night--down to five, thank goodness--and mulling over their origin stories, thinking about where they were made and by whom when I realized of the five, three are from different states, and three from different countries. And then I came up with my ukulele collection idea:

The Fifty States [Plus Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands, as desired] Ukulele Collection!

What do you think, Jerry, do you want to take this on? Anyone?

We could also come up with a virtual collection by listing our own US-built ukes, and see how many of those places we can cover.

It's something I could get truly patriotic about.

All right, here's what we have so far. At a certain point, I'm sure we'll have to stop counting Magic Fluke.

California: Drewek Lutherie, David Iriguchi, Kala Elite
Colorado: Beau Hannam, David Hanson
Florida: Jonathan Dale
Georgia: David Hanson
Hawaii: Bradford Donaldson, Imua, Koaloha, Mele
Illinois: Harmony, Globe, Kay, Silvertone
Massachusetts: Magic Fluke (2)
Michigan: Bruce Herron (2)
Minnesota: Pete/Shelley Mai
New York: Zither Heaven
Oregon: Perry/Terry Bullard, Covered Bridge, David Ingalls (2), Outdoor
Pennsylvania: Jonathan Dale

Last edited:
Perhaps each one should be made from native woods

I was gazing with some pride at my ukulele collection last night--down to five, thank goodness--and mulling over their origin stories, thinking about where they were made and by whom when I realized of the five, three are from different states, and three from different countries. And then I came up with my ukulele collection idea:

The Fifty States [Plus Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands, as desired] Ukulele Collection!

We could also come up with a virtual collection by listing our own US-built ukes, and see how many of those places we can cover.

Are there good ukulele builders in all 50 states?

Perhaps each one should be made from native woods

That would up the ante and make it even more interesting. And would each be entirely native woods, or would partially qualify?

Are there good ukulele builders in all 50 states?

I don't know! I think we might have to give Wyoming a pass. Or hold its place till someone starts building there. OTOH, define good :p

I chill ran up my spine when I saw your title. Now that I have an even 100, I'm not looking to buy any more. I already have license plates from all fifty states, and that's enough. I bet there are ukulele makers in all fifty states.

I chill ran up my spine when I saw your title. Now that I have an even 100, I'm not looking to buy any more. I already have license plates from all fifty states, and that's enough. I bet there are ukulele makers in all fifty states.

Congratulations Jerry on 100! Did you mark the moment with anything special? And - have you started to build the extra room for the museum?:music:

Congratulations Jerry on 100! Did you mark the moment with anything special? And - have you started to build the extra room for the museum?:music:

Yes, I did: I'm looking for more bottles and cans to return to get money to pay down the credit cards. ;)

Last night I tried jokingly to post, listing China about 29 times, plus a few other places for my 36 ukes and bass uke, but the forum software would not let me. First it deemed it as spam, then it said I posted too many times no matter how long I waited. I hope this goes.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:

But the seed is planted.

When you have a chance, would you jot down the states you have covered, and let us know?

He probably celebrated by buying a uke! :rolleyes:

I think I can account for 9 or 10 states. As the author of the thread, I think Ziret would have to compile the list by keeping the initial post edited

I think I can account for 9 or 10 states. As the author of the thread, I think Ziret would have to compile the list by keeping the initial post edited

I could do that. If you list the states I can copy and paste into the initial post.

Mine are:

California
Hawaii
Oregon

if you could list alphabetically that might help, but it’s not a requirement.

California-David Iriguchi
Colorado - David Hanson
Georgia - David Hanson
Florida - Jonathan Dale
Hawaii - Imua
Massachusetts- Magic Fluke
Michigan - Bruce Herron
Minnesota- Pete/Shelley Mai
Oregon - David Ingalls, Perry/Terry Bullard
Pennsylvania- Jonathan Dale

OK, I'll keep it simple this time (like Jim's list, and we have a builder in common),

China for a good majority of my instruments
Vietnam - Bruce Wei Arts
Indonesia - Brian May Guitars
South Africa - Fanner Guitar Works
Canada - Godin Guitars
Michigan - Bruce G. Herron

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Interesting thread. Here are mine -

California: Drewek Lutherie -Oak/Padauk

Hawaii: Mele - Mahogany

Illinois: Silvertone - Mahogany; Harmony, Kay, Globe - all birch

Massachusetts: Vega -Mahogany

New York: Zither Heaven - Black walnut; Cherry; Black walnut/birch; Maple

Oregon: Outdoor - Composite polycarbonate

Last edited:
Top Bottom