50 states ukulele collection idea

I have:
Oregon - Covered Bridge (Claro Walnut & Western Red Cedar)
Hawaii - KoAloha (Koa)
Massachusetts - Magic Fluke

I'll try to start compiling the list this afternoon. I wonder if I can insert a spreadsheet in one of these reply fields :biglaugh::biglaugh:.

Cool-o, Teri.
Which ukes to you own now?

All right, here's what we have so far. At a certain point, I'm sure we'll have to stop counting Magic Fluke.

California: Drewek Lutherie, David Iriguchi, Kala Elite
Colorado: Beau Hannam, David Hanson
Florida: Jonathan Dale
Georgia: David Hanson
Hawaii: Bradford Donaldson, Imua, Koaloha, Mele
Illinois: Harmony, Globe, Kay, Silvertone
Massachusetts: Magic Fluke (2)
Michigan: Bruce Herron (2)
Minnesota: Pete/Shelley Mai
New York: Zither Heaven
Oregon: Perry/Terry Bullard, Covered Bridge, David Ingalls (2), Outdoor
Pennsylvania: Jonathan Dale

Cool-o, Teri.
Which ukes to you own now?

Thanks for asking! Here's a really bad photo of them.

The far left is one of those Hricane travel tenors. I have strung reentrant dGBE, just to play around. It's a comfortable size to play, and worth every penny of the $65 I paid for it. From China. Spruce top, laminated spalted maple back and sides.

Second is a soprano Surfulele made by Bradford Donald (BuzzBD here) in Hawaii. Brad gave it to me last year at this time when I wasn't able to go to Hawaii because of a medical emergency. It's got a solid koa top and laminate birch, I think, for the back and sides. It's my granddaughter's favorite, maybe because it has a picture of a seal on the back.

Third is a soprano Kiwaya KTS-6 from Eddie Montana's estate, sold to me by Travis Harrelson. Solid mahogany, classic soprano.

Fourth a concert Kala Elite 1KOA-C. Currently strung low G. Handmade in California.

Last an Ono concert made in Oregon by David Ingalls (saltytri here). Alaskan yellow cedar top, big leaf maple sides, back and appointments African padauk. Bought it from a member who donated the money from the sale to The Life You Can Save, so as far as I'm concerned, I got it for free--with a donation to a cause I am happy to support.

IMG_0612.jpg

Not shown because not currently residing at my house, and may never return: Enya Nova concert uke. Black plastic everything.

I've bought and sold so many of these things that I could never say I will never sell any particular one, except, of course, the one from Brad. I'd be an idiot to sell the Kiwaya, since I did once, and had to find another to buy because I missed it. I can't imagine ever being able to afford to replace the Ono, nor wanting to. And I have no desire to sell the Kala Elite, either. Now that my tastes have gone into the rarified territory of the Ono, my choices have narrowed, which gives me a lot more time to play.

I still love your Howlet. I didn't know you'd bought a Blue Frog. I'd love to see that someday.

Teri

Hawaii: Maui Music, KoAloha, Kamaka, Keli'i
Connecticut: Magic Fluke (yes, the early ones were made in New Hartford, CT!)
Massachusetts: Magic Fluke
California: Deering

I believe Peter Lieberman has built some Maui Music ukes in New Jersey and/or Florida.
Godin has a factory in New Hampshire, but my Godin uke was made in Canada (Quebec). If yours says it's made in the US, it's from the NH factory!

Teri,
What a nice line up you have. Fun to see how it's changed over time.

My KTS-7 ended up with an excellent player in PA who is doing wonderful things with it. (I think a KTS-6 with UPT's would make me happy enough. LOL. Some day.)

My Blue Frog long neck is so, so handsome and it sounds great. The date of arrival far exceeded projected completion, but his work is so fine and perfect, I didn't want to complain publicly.
Anyway, Victor Jones @ Blue Frog does deserve a state on your list: Bellevue, KY

Beautiful appointments. The top and bottom are actually richer/darker in real life - photos must have some glare.
I requested a slender Martin like neck, and it's perfect.
Also has little more nut width like a Kiwaya, which I prefer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2zgvrzKqa4X1CQ2i6

I was amazed to figure out that of all my ukes, it's the only one not in Hawaii or California, which I'm sure you already listed. Oh, and the Martins from Pennsylvania!

I've got some international representaion going on with Great Britain, Germany, Japan, China...

Last edited:
Technically, I'm an Australian living in Colorado- so you get two countries and one state! :)

Teri,
What a nice line up you have. Fun to see how it's changed over time.

My KTS-7 ended up with an excellent player in PA who is doing wonderful things with it. (I think a KTS-6 with UPT's would make me happy enough. LOL. Some day.)

My Blue Frog long neck is so, so handsome and it sounds great. The date of arrival far exceeded projected completion, but his work is so fine and perfect, I didn't want to complain publicly.
Anyway, Victor Jones @ Blue Frog does deserve a state on your list: Bellevue, KY

Beautiful appointments. The top and bottom are actually richer/darker in real life - photos must have some glare.
I requested a slender Martin like neck, and it's perfect.
Also has little more nut width like a Kiwaya, which I prefer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2zgvrzKqa4X1CQ2i6

I was amazed to figure out that of all my ukes, it's the only one not in Hawaii or California, which I'm sure you already listed. Oh, and the Martins from Pennsylvania!

I've got some international representaion going on with Great Britain, Germany, Japan, China...

Glad to hear your LN Blue Frog arrived with a grand welcome. Looking at your pics I became envious and desirous til I remembered I got a uke from Vic, and it's my all time fav! He's a master craftsman with an artist eye, a wry sense of humor, and very easy to communicate with. You can't forget that it's one person building this musical creature with all the complications of life thrown at the him. It's a labor of love and commitment to craft. Those pieces of wood and string don't even know they are instruments. But Vic makes sure they are before he ships it out. Yes Kentucky!

Top Bottom