Season 467 - Out of This World

The Galaxy Song by Eric Idle & John Du Prez from The Meaning Of Life

I played this on a no-name instrument that I bought at a garage sale 40 some odd years ago. It started life as a small tenor guitar and was my son Clay's first guitar. When he was 3 or 4 he asked me if I could put a pick guard on it so "it would be a Martin". I had some pick guard material, so I did that. After he got himself a 6 string guitar, I worried that the tension of the steel strings might pull the instrument apart, so I replaced them with nylon strings, making it a baritone ukulele.

This photo is 40 years old. Clay is 3 and I am much younger too. Clay is playing the same tenor guitar/baritone uke that I play in the video. Since he was only three, I just tuned it to an open chord and let him wail away.

JIM & Clay at 3.jpg

Last edited:
There's strength in numbers, so I decided to use the audio track of "Fly Me to the Moon" that I recorded a few years ago with my seniors uke group, The CC Strummers, on which I'm playing bass uke. I included a generic photo of the group, I'm in the upper left with a red circle. (I see the title happens automatically here.)

There's strength in numbers, so I decided to use the audio track of "Fly Me to the Moon" that I recorded a few years ago with my seniors uke group, The CC Strummers, on which I'm playing bass uke. I included a generic photo of the group, I'm in the upper left with a red circle. (I see the title happens automatically here.)

This was great, and I enjoyed listening to it, although strictly the rules of the game are that the video needs to be recorded this week specifically for the theme. So - maybe someone who's been around longer can correct me if this is the wrong thing to do - but in fairness to people who have made their recordings this week, I probably shouldn't add it to the playlist.

Still, you should all listen to it anyway! I haven't been to a uke group, though I gather there's a couple fairly near me that I hope I can go along to once we're allowed out again, especially if this is the sort of fun they have.

SOTU 467 - "Sun And Moon And Stars," written by Texas & New Mexico singer/songwriter Vince Bell (1976). Vince was a regular in the Texas folk scene in the 1970's. In 1982, just as his career was starting to really take off, he was severely injured in a car crash. He suffered brain and nerve damage and had to relearn everything - including how to play guitar and sing. He eventually resumed his career and has recorded several critically acclaimed records. His songs have been covered by Lyle Lovett and Nanci Griffith, among others. This one might be regarded as his signature tune, it's certainly the first one of his I ever heard.

this, a cover of a fun song written by a local Hobart band
who are friends of mine

This was great, and I enjoyed listening to it, although strictly the rules of the game are that the video needs to be recorded this week specifically for the theme. So - maybe someone who's been around longer can correct me if this is the wrong thing to do...

I read the main thread for Seasons and saw that a recording could be from anytime, that's why I decided to post that one.

This was great, and I enjoyed listening to it, although strictly the rules of the game are that the video needs to be recorded this week specifically for the theme. So - maybe someone who's been around longer can correct me if this is the wrong thing to do - but in fairness to people who have made their recordings this week, I probably shouldn't add it to the playlist.

Still, you should all listen to it anyway! I haven't been to a uke group, though I gather there's a couple fairly near me that I hope I can go along to once we're allowed out again, especially if this is the sort of fun they have.

I read the main thread for Seasons and saw that a recording could be from anytime, that's why I decided to post that one.
i went looking for the general instruction that says vids have to be new and recorded for the season... and couldn't find it! but it's definitely been a given ever since i started on the seasons, and many hosts mention this requirement in their intro. back in the day we often used to have a bonus playlist, and if people had an old vid that fitted the week, they could post it and it would be added to the bonus playlist. i've had people not tick key requirements that i've asked for when i've hosted, things to do with the theme and what songs fit it (and indeed have mucked this sort of thing up myself in other seasons when just participating!), and most of the time as host i've just added the vid to the season playlist anyway, but not counted the vid in my picks for end of season prizes. the other thing we can do if we realise we've mucked up and a song doesn't fit, or we have an old vid that fits that we'd like to share again, is bung it on the island of misfit seasonistas thread. do you have a link, mike, to that main thread where it says a recording could be from anytime?

here is yet another homemade song from me - loving this theme so much!

"planet x"

This is a Moody Blues song about a planet that just wants some people to come live on it already, played with the ElectroHarmonix Mel9 pedal simulating a Mellotron orchestra sound.

an original song written just now for the season
and a nasty little bugger it is... :p

A quick original tune and a walk in a park on a sunny day.

Hello again, Edwin! This is a song from the wonderfully bonkers Neil Innes, which I think, fits perfectly into the week. The only version I could find was Neil's original, which goes back to 1980, and in which he inexplicably appears in blackface as Dr. Who (the Tom Baker incarnation.) This came accompanied with the lyrics, which, for some reason, ended up in Chinese. I have put up the lyrics for the last verse (in English) ... please feel free to join in!

Last edited:
Season 467 and a little known ditty at a relaxed pace. It is important to note that
no scutters were harmed in the making of this pile of old toot.

Hi folks! I've tossed and turned trying to come up with the right thing for this season. My first choice got scooped up on day 1, but I may record it, yet. Here is choice number two. I had a stab at the spacey intro, but made a hash of it, so the beginning of this piece is quite abrupt, due to cutting room floor issues. A bit of a rough effort, if I'm honest, oh well.

Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In
James Rado/Gerome Ragni-lyrics
Galt MacDermot-music

Hello folks. Sorry it's been a while.

I broke my finger so I wasn't playing for ages. I was told my ring finger was permanently fused at the knuckle, I wasn't sure I would be able to play again. It's a real joy to be able to play now.

This is a one take wonder, so forgive any rough edges. :D

Last edited:
I've missed a few weeks recently. I've got involved in another project with a group I belong to. We've been recording music to use as background for someone's walking videos. Keeps us occupied while we can't meet up and play together during the pandemic. It has involved me playing blowy and squeezy things and no Uke. We have four other string plinkers in the group.

I'm applying the Thornton Rule here. Out of this world is where you go when your time on this earth is up. If you're a deep sea fisherman, it's Fiddlers' Green. Written by John Connolly from Grimsby, once one of the UK's major fishing ports. The less said about the UK's fishing industry these days, the better.

We're up to 42 songs on the playlist now, which seems like pretty good going to me. Thanks for all your contributions!

You're clearly all enjoying the intergalactic theme, but don't forget that if that doesn't inspire you, or if you want a bit of variety, you can also bring a song that teaches us something - doesn't have to be of an interplanetary nature, it could be anything, as long as it's informative.

Hi folks! I've tossed and turned trying to come up with the right thing for this season. My first choice got scooped up on day 1, but I may record it, yet. Here is choice number two. I had a stab at the spacey intro, but made a hash of it, so the beginning of this piece is quite abrupt, due to cutting room floor issues. A bit of a rough effort, if I'm honest, oh well.

Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In
James Rado/Gerome Ragni-lyrics
Galt MacDermot-music

On my overseas hitch-hiking trip in 1968/69, I was on a strict budget, but wanted to bring souvenirs to all of my siblings, so I cheaped out. My brother Gary got a Hair poster. He recently asked me if I would be offended if he got rid of it. I said, "Yes."
Hair Poster.jpg

Top Bottom