Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 467 - Out of This World

Default Season 467 - Out of This World

Commencing countdown, engines on.

As you've no doubt noticed, Planet Earth is not a great place to be at the moment. So, for this week's theme, let's imagine what it would be like to be literally anywhere else. Please bring us a song - either a cover, or one of your own - about anything you might find away from Earth. So, you can play us a song about the sun, the moon, other stars and planets, constellations, comets, space craft and travel, visitors from other planets, or anything else astronomical or out of this world.

Feel free to be creative with how something might fit! The only restriction I'll make is that it must be the song itself - title or lyrics - that make the spacey reference. Artist/band name or album title is not enough!

As an alternative, if you'd prefer to remain earthbound: One thing that I feel might make life better back on our own planet would be if we all just knew more things about, well, everything! Given that - and given that the next semester is starting on Monday at my university - bring a song that teaches us something.

For example, here's a song that fits both the primary and secondary themes:

Maybe I should start doing my lectures like that. And no, of course I didn't just buy this t-shirt for this video (okay, yes I did). Anyway, the other important rules and guidelines:

• No song limits, and feel free to multitrack as much as you feel is appropriate, as long as a ukulele is prominent.
    • I'd love to hear originals as well as covers - actually there's a few songs I'd like to hear covered but you'll just have to guess what those might be for now .
    • The season starts at 00:00:00 Hawaii time on Sunday January 24th, and ends at 23:59:59 Hawaii time on Sunday January 31st. Please only post songs recorded for this season during this week, and say in the video or its description that it's for Season 467.
    • Finally, don't forget that there's still another day or so to contribute to Yukio's bloody theme.

PLAYLIST

We have liftoff!
    - Edwin

Great idea, Edwin ... I feel positively other-worldly! (What is your subject at uni ... are you actually able to hold lectures at the moment?)
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Great theme !
    lynda

acid skiffle

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Great idea, Edwin ... I feel positively other-worldly! (What is your subject at uni ... are you actually able to hold lectures at the moment?)
    I'm a Computer Scientist - we've been pretty much entirely online since last March, with a few exceptions. It's a bit weird, I'm now prerecording lectures and backing them up with live Q&A sessions via Teams.

On the plus side, at least it meant my employer bought me a half decent mic...
    - Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    Great theme !
    I envision approximately an infinite number of Hawkwind songs ...
    The site truncates my signature so I can't tell you

Great theme...I need to get away!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    I envision approximately an infinite number of Hawkwind songs ...
    lynda

acid skiffle

we need a space force
    paoriginal for season 467

Thanks for the stellar theme Edwin. I've liked this Stones song since a relative of mine gifted me his record collection when he entered the priesthood - I guess I was about 15. Amongst the platters were a bunch of Stone 45's on the Decca label including this one. I get to use a favourite power chord on the baritone here, an E5 I think it is. 2400 in fret language.
    In the song the distance in light years from home increases during the song. But I accidently mixed some of the numbers up. One minute the astronaut is 600 light years from home - then the next minute he's back at 100....must have forgot his phone

The subject of 'Out of this world' automatically started me looking at those pioneers of 'space rock', Hawkwind ... the lyrics of this song mention Orion's stars so i'll claim Rigel, Betelgeuse et al. as the links to the season's astronomical theme ...

Thread Information