Season 467 - Out of This World

i went looking for the general instruction that says vids have to be new and recorded for the season... and couldn't find it! ...do you have a link, mike, to that main thread where it says a recording could be from anytime?

I looked back and it seems I misunderstood the post I read, so I agree not being added to the playlist.

I did read this in the Seasons Invitation pinned thread: "—you have 8 days to prepare and record a video for that week's theme."

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...Seasons-of-the-Ukulele!&p=1143892#post1143892

Last edited:
thanks for that link, mike! gathering together all the seasons guidelines does seem to involve going to different posts on different threads for the info. i went right back to the opening post of the very first season, and you can see how things have developed over time. originally, there was no overlap sunday, you couldn't multitrack, you couldn't lip synch (i don't think alot of us do, but berni has done some really amazing vids where he does) and your vid had to be your first take!

like BEV i seem to be on a songwriting roll this week.
thank you for the inspiration Edwin.
this, another original for the season.

I'll probably make this my last one and go back and have a listen to the other entries. (So easy to get wrapped up in doing in your own stuff) An Instrumental this time......

A song from a Soviet sci-fi film: "And Apple Trees Will Blossom On Mars" (1963) by Vano Muradeli and Yevgeniy Dolmatovsky in Russian:

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger! Man armed with ukulele thinks he has half a chance of hitting a high E!

So anyway, all these old sci-fi clips we've been seeing reminded me of this song, which I got on some compilation or another several years ago. It's by Bill Mumy, who played Will Robinson in Lost in Space. I thought it'd be fun to have a go, especially since I've never tried messing about with synthy sounds before.

i went looking for the general instruction that says vids have to be new and recorded for the season... and couldn't find it! but it's definitely been a given ever since i started on the seasons, and many hosts mention this requirement in their intro. back in the day we often used to have a bonus playlist, and if people had an old vid that fitted the week, they could post it and it would be added to the bonus playlist. i've had people not tick key requirements that i've asked for when i've hosted, things to do with the theme and what songs fit it (and indeed have mucked this sort of thing up myself in other seasons when just participating!), and most of the time as host i've just added the vid to the season playlist anyway, but not counted the vid in my picks for end of season prizes. the other thing we can do if we realise we've mucked up and a song doesn't fit, or we have an old vid that fits that we'd like to share again, is bung it on the island of misfit seasonistas thread. do you have a link, mike, to that main thread where it says a recording could be from anytime?

A lot has changed over the years. When I started you could only have one entry and it had to be the first song you posted. The bonus songs appeared as people who posted early often wanted to add more, then gradually multiple entries became allowed. It's always been a "given" that the recording should be new for the season and hosts normally put that in the OP for the season. However, hosts have always had discretion to vary the week's T&Cs. That's how multi tracking, lip syncing and other techy features crept in. As long as everyone is happy & abides by the spirit of the season I reckon all is good.

Time to revisit my childhood! I watched the very first season of Sesame Street, and it made a big impression on me. I've always loved this one from Ernie.

This is the first of (hopefully) two songs I will post this week. The other one is still an idea in my head. I hope I find time to materialise it tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy this video, which I think has a lot in common with a trailer for a 1950s Sci-Fi "B" Movie.

Join my narrator as he explores for signs of intelligent life:

PS The vapour trails are from the mother ship in a very low orbit. :)

This is a song that then-Boston musician Paula Kelley did on a 2003 album that I only heard because a co-worker turned me on to it. It had touches of everything from the Beatles to Bacharach to ELO.

Yeesh -- I tried this song on three different ukes, tried raising the key a whole tone, got serious cramps in my fretting hand, and in the end went back and recorded the same way I had tried the first time. The original had a lot of strings and the keyboard part on the verses sounded like the flutes on Strawberry Fields Forever, so I used the Mel9 flute sound.

The Spaceship Song by Herbert Khaury

A romantic little ditty from the wonderful Mr. Khaury.

TinyTimpromo_1952.jpgHerbert Khaury

A couple of edits here to tease folks with Tiny Tim's real name, Herbert Khaury. I realise that a number of you knew who he was, but didn't bother mentioning it, but the tether and the tie mentioned Tiny in his comments on YouTube.

While I do know Tiny Tim's real name, I don't seem to know the tether and the tie's real name and I don't always feel comfortable using folks' screen names to talk to or about them.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! We now have 54 songs on the playlist, with a great mix of really creative originals, and some nice cover versions. I'm particularly enjoying hearing the originals you're coming up with, and lots of you are obviously having enormous fun coming up with accompanying videos. There's been plenty of old sci-fi clips in there, for example.

I might be a little bit less efficient in updating the playlist in the next day or so, so apologies in advance, but please keep them coming anyway - of course I'll catch up with them all soon enough.

The closest I will ever get to seeing anything off Earth is in a...

Bit of a Thornton Rule here, but many of the movies mentioned happen somewhere other than Earth.

Meh, why not...

Last edited:
bob king included a well-timed clip from "devil girl from mars" in the great vid for his fab B-52's cover. it occurred to me she might need a whole song and vid all to herself!

Top Bottom