Review: Aklot Eight String Tenor Ukulele

UkeStuff

Reaction score
This review has been out a week, but I had waited to post my review of the Ohana BKT-70G until hearing back from Ohana (there was an issue to clear up), so I postponed posting this review. I will be posting this week's review tomorrow (a day or two late).

It's an exceptional value and a well made ukulele. Less than $70 for an eight string? Amazing.

Full UkeGuide Review (skip to chapters that interest you) and the One Minute Ukulele Review linked below.

A 4-string tenor, tuned C with low G is G3 C4 E4 A4 where C4 is middle C on a piano.

An 8-string tenor, tuned C is generaly tuned G3G4 C3C4 E4E4 A4A4. Thus, this 8-string tuning has three additional high strings (G4, E4, A4),but only one additional low string (C3).

RESULT: The usual 8-string uke tuning yields a raucous, tinny sounding instrument (to my ears).

QUESTION: Has anyone tried G3G3 C3C4 E4E4 A4A4? It is waaaay better balanced (to my ears).

A 4-string tenor, tuned C with low G is G3 C4 E4 A4 where C4 is middle C on a piano.

An 8-string tenor, tuned C is generaly tuned G3G4 C3C4 E4E4 A4A4. Thus, this 8-string tuning has three additional high strings (G4, E4, A4),but only one additional low string (C3).

RESULT: The usual 8-string uke tuning yields a raucous, tinny sounding instrument (to my ears).

QUESTION: Has anyone tried G3G3 C3C4 E4E4 A4A4? It is waaaay better balanced (to my ears).

I'm not really an "alternative tuning" person.

However, I did want to clarify...I own 4 instruments with tenor neck eight strings, from 4 different manufacturers. The tuning is different on all than your list.

The Baton Rouge Sun, Aklot, and Ortega Hyrda are tuned G4G3 C5C4 E4E4 A4A4

The new Kmise model is tuned G3G4 C4C5 E4E4 A4A4 (flipping the G and C strings).

I'm pretty sure the Kmise string order isn't "officially" correct, but the eight strings I own have both Low and High G, an extra C string tuned an octave higher, and an extra E and A string. The Ortega came from Uke Republic, and I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing.

It does create a bright, shimmering sound that would be unusual.

I also own an Ohana Taropatch where there are four courses of unison strings G4G4 C4C4 E4E4 A4A4 which would get you pretty close...but there is definitely a chorus effect as the strings are never perfectly in tune (or don't stay there equally).

So g4 implies that taropatch is re-entrant or not?

For an 8 string the low G should be the lowest string and a high c be added as octave. Usually for the g and c strings the high string comes first so that on down strums it is not missed but played before the lower string.

Last edited:
So g4 implies that taropatch is re-entrant or not?

For an 8 string the low G should be the lowest string and a high c be added as octave. Usually for the g and c strings the high string comes first so that on down strums it is not missed but played before the lower string.

Yes...taropatch—in my studies—is generally reentrant tuning.

...The Baton Rouge Sun, Aklot, and Ortega Hyrda are tuned G4G3 C5C4 E4E4 A4A4 ...
C5? So all strings are in 4th & 5th octaves except for that one lonely G3. It might go good with bluegrass but -- in a softly-lit cocktail lounge? It's begging for "the hook" or, at best, a 1-night stand, in my opinion. However, "Each to his own tastes," as the bearded lady said when she kissed the goat. :rolleyes:

I own this model and absolutely love it. Could not recommend it highly enough. Also hello the raven bridge. A Voran for a Voran (my name means raven)

What string would you use for C3? That's the C below middle C on the piano.

Do they make a baritone model? I have a wonderful tenor 8 already and am looking to move up!

Top Bottom