Build No. 2 Completed (photos)

taylordb

Reaction score
Build No. 2 Completed

I have been lurking here for quite a few years, soaking up knowledge and SLOWLY building. Finally got the courage up to show off my latest build, which is number 2 to date. A tenor uke (high G) built off the Hana Lima IA plans but modified here and there.

Walnut back and sides / cedar top with Paua Abalone rosette
mahogany neck, with walnut headstock plate
West African ebony binding, heel cap and end gaft
Bone nut and saddle
Stewmac #0147 fretwire
Grover tuners
French polish finish.

I did not set out to do a bound fretboard, but I screwed up cutting it, so the binding covered up my mistakes.

I am pretty happy with it but would like it to have a little more sustain. I will probably need to revisit the nut and saddle as I get a slightly harsh initial string noise when playing with a hard attack…mostly on the G and A strings. Right now the action is set at about 2.25mm at the 12 fret.

I put 5 additional pictures in a separate post.

Any constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated….thanks!

Attachments

• Build 2 pic 1.jpg
    Build 2 pic 1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Build 2 pic 2.jpg
    Build 2 pic 2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Build 2 pic 4.jpg
    Build 2 pic 4.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Build 2 pic 3.jpg
    Build 2 pic 3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Build 2 pic 5.jpg
    Build 2 pic 5.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Maybe leave the action where it is and just play less hard. I once had a tenor with 2mm action which buzzed with anything over a feather light attack so I had to shim it up and now it's fine. So yeah, if it won't play the way you like to play it, you'll have to raise it

My constructive criticism: really nice construction. A very nice effort for uke #2. I see you used ebony for your binding. I salute you because I never could get the stuff to bend without cracking at the waist so I gave up and used other woods. Only criticism: cut those little string whiskers off to the post. Looks like the peg head needs a shave. Other than that, nothing. But of course you know where the bodies are buried. There are always bodies.

Maybe leave the action where it is and just play less hard. I once had a tenor with 2mm action which buzzed with anything over a feather light attack so I had to shim it up and now it's fine. So yeah, if it won't play the way you like to play it, you'll have to raise it

The harsh sound seems to be coming from the saddle. I do have the action at the nut a little too low, but I think the problem is at the saddle...I will try that first and see what happens. Thanks!

My constructive criticism: really nice construction. A very nice effort for uke #2. I see you used ebony for your binding. I salute you because I never could get the stuff to bend without cracking at the waist so I gave up and used other woods. Only criticism: cut those little string whiskers off to the post. Looks like the peg head needs a shave. Other than that, nothing. But of course you know where the bodies are buried. There are always bodies.

LOL, I left the strings a little long during setup thinking I might have to take them off and put them back on, so I wanted a little extra length. They are definitely getting cut! I made the ebony bindings a little thinner so they were not that bad to bend....the real pain was bending the fretboard binding piece by the sound hole.
And yes there are plenty of bodies with this build. Actually I think I learned so much more by having to fix things.

Top Bottom