Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Build No. 2 Completed (more photos)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Posts
    158

    Default Build No. 2 Completed (more photos)

    Some more pictures of my build #2
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    7,662

    Default

    That's beautiful!
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Rhinebeck, New York
    Posts
    287

    Default

    How did you join the neck?
    My uke family:

    Ohana SK-39
    Romero Tiny Tenor Spalted Mango
    96 Art Tenor Redwood & Myrtle
    Custom-built Maple Tenor by me
    Stewmac Mahogany Tenor Kit Build by me

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mineymole View Post
    How did you join the neck?
    Its a bolt on neck.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I wish my French Polish jobs came out that nice! I'd be interested in knowing what sort of schedule you use.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoji View Post
    I wish my French Polish jobs came out that nice! I'd be interested in knowing what sort of schedule you use.
    It is definitely time consuming, but I found it very pleasing...almost zen like. i think I had about 34 coats on this one. The trick is that each coat is extremely light (thin). I did about 2 coats a day. I took me about 2 1/2 weeks to do. I learned how to french polish from Tom Bills over at The Luthier's Edge. I did 4 coats using shellac only, then 3 coats using shellac and olive oil, then 8 coats using shellac with walnut oil and olive oil. I then level sanded with 1000 grit. Then 15 coats using shellac with walnut oil and olive oil. I then sanded with 3600 wet sandpaper using a mixture of mineral spirits and olive oil as a lubricant. I then did 4 very very very dry coat using shellac with walnut oil and olive oil. Finally I polished it with Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover....you use very little of this, like probably less than 1/4 teaspoon (probably more like 1/8 teaspoon).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •