Baby it's dry inside

Yeah I noticed a huge drop in my house as well... thus I'm picking up more distilled water. I do keep 2 of my nicer ukes in a case but don't always check the water levels in the humidifier.

Was shocked to see 16% humidity today in my house. About the driest I've seen indoors here in MA. We have forced hot air heat, the norm is 25-35% in winter, which is still pretty dry. So, in-case uke humidifying is in full force here until the heat goes off in the Spring.
View attachment 131936

I have forced air heat here in Utah as well. 28% humidity in my office where my ukes live. They are all in hard cases, except the Blackbird Clara. Two humidifiers per case.....Music Nomad in the sound hole, D'adarrio up by the headstock. Keeping the humidifiers fed with distilled water is a bit of a chore, but worth the effort to keep my babies healthy & happy!

yeah, word of warning. I live in the dessert at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Dry as expected. Compound that with the furnace. I have humidifiers and hard cases, but I became indolent and insolent. I just kept my favorite uke out 24/7. I just got the uke back from the luthier where some fret work had to be done. So keep those ukes humidified. Remember it only takes 30 seconds a week and it saves a lot of pain and money.

... Yeah. A larger room humidifier is currently holding higher 30s (percent humidity) most days, not up into the 40-50 range I've been able to achieve before this recent cold snap. (Southeast-ish PA)

My Outdoor soprano has seen the most play for weeks now-- it stays within ready reach, with no worries re: ongoing dry air or the direct dry heat resulting from my sitting (and playing) directly in front of a electric ceramic heater first thing in the morning and last thing at night. ;)

My hunt for a Concert hard case that fits my Anuenue AMM2 (with its wider lower bout) has come to the fore again; even a good gig bag like the one it came with simply doesn't retain humidity the way that a hard case does (all the clearer in current, direct comparison). I'm not enjoying the extra attention/worry involved in making sure the AMM2 is staying as hydrated as the ukuleles in hard cases.

~ S.

It's one of my rituals every Friday to top off all of the ukulele humidifiers. (5 Oasis, 2 Humistat) It's a pretty small hassle for the peace of mind.

Top Bottom