Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concert Ukuleles

Default Concert Ukuleles

Has anyone here had the opportunity to play 2016-2020 Kamaka HF-2 Concert and Collings UC-K1 Koa Concert? If so, I would appreciate your insight. I have a Collings UC-K1 I am thinking of putting up for sale to fund a Kamaka HF-2. I need help to make up my mind.

Thanks

Tom

You should play a Kamaka before selling your Collings. I think this is why so many buy first, then sell.

A while back Kamaka ukes had varying tone/sound qualities. Some were just better than others. Don't know if that is still true for newer Kamaka ukes. Had a beautiful Kamaka concert built in 2009 that was a bit disappointing to my ears, even with several different changes of strings. Collings are much more consistent, IMHO.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    You should play a Kamaka before selling your Collings. I think this is why so many buy first, then sell.
    Good advice, Thank you
    TomtheBaptist

Kamaka HF-1 Standard
    Kamaka HF-3 Tenor
    Collings UCK1 Concert
    Collings UT1 Concert
    LoPrinzi Soprano Custom Spanish Cypress and Spruce
    Loprinzi AC-T Tenor with MISI Pickup
    Pops Opio Concert Pineapple Sunday
    Martin D18
    Martin 00015-SM
    Santa Cruz OM/PW
    Composite Acoustic Legacy Carbon Fiber
    Ahlambra 5P Classical
    Bob Thomason Butternut/Walnut Mountain Dulcimer
    New Harmony Butternut/Walnut Mountain Dulcimer
    Merv Rowley Myrtle Mountain Dulcimer

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    A while back Kamaka ukes had varying tone/sound qualities. Some were just better than others. Don't know if that is still true for newer Kamaka ukes. Had a beautiful Kamaka concert built in 2009 that was a bit disappointing to my ears, even with several different changes of strings. Collings are much more consistent, IMHO.
    I've read that they can be hit or miss.

Tom
    TomtheBaptist

Kamaka HF-1 Standard
    Kamaka HF-3 Tenor
    Collings UCK1 Concert
    Collings UT1 Concert
    Martin D18
    Martin 00015-SM
    Santa Cruz OM/PW
    Ahlambra 5P Classical

I have a Collings UC-3K. It looks and sounds great.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I guess my question would be why you're thinking of selling the Collings to get a Kamaka.
    To my ears, they have different sounds. Do you prefer the sound of the Kamaka?

They also feel different to play, IMO, which of course, you can't decide if you agree without being able to play both, of course. But, do you like the way the Collings feels to play, or are you not happy with that?

I have a preference between the 2 brands, (and I am a concert player), but that's not relevant, I don't think. I think that the important things to consider are what *you* are looking for, and which ukulele would be more likely to suit you based on that.

I will agree with the "hit or miss" regarding Kamaka.

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tomthebaptist View Post
    Good advice, Thank you

The one thing I’d add to that is that it’s advice that applies across the spectrum of Uke sales and purchases. If you can afford to then it’s really helpful to compare instruments side by side at your leisure, and then to decide what to keep and what, assuming you want to or need to, to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I guess my question would be why you're thinking of selling the Collings to get a Kamaka.
    To my ears, they have different sounds. Do you prefer the sound of the Kamaka?

They also feel different to play, IMO, which of course, you can't decide if you agree without being able to play both, of course. But, do you like the way the Collings feels to play, or are you not happy with that?

I have a preference between the 2 brands, (and I am a concert player), but that's not relevant, I don't think. I think that the important things to consider are what *you* are looking for, and which ukulele would be more likely to suit you based on that.

From Graham Greenbag

The one thing I’d add to that is that it’s advice that applies across the spectrum of Uke sales and purchases. If you can afford to then it’s really helpful to compare instruments side by side at your leisure, and then to decide what to keep and what, assuming you want to or need to, to sell.

I will agree with the "hit or miss" regarding Kamaka.
    The Collings is very bright, especially when tuned re-entrant. I like a more mellow sound, but I don’t like dead. All of you have confirmed my own thought not to buy without trying them side by side, first. I’ve decided that I will ask the seller the seller if he would be willing to consign Kamaka to me for couple of days.

Thank you all for your suggestions and opinions.

Tom
    Last edited by tomthebaptist; 01-26-2021 at 08:18 AM.
    TomtheBaptist

Kamaka HF-1 Standard
    Kamaka HF-3 Tenor
    Collings UCK1 Concert
    Collings UT1 Concert
    Martin D18
    Martin 00015-SM
    Santa Cruz OM/PW
    Ahlambra 5P Classical

Quote Originally Posted by tomthebaptist View Post
    The Collings is very bright, especially when tuned re-entrant. I like a more mellow sound, but I don’t like dead. All of you have confirmed my own thought not to buy without trying them side by side, first. I’ve decided that I will ask the seller the seller if he would be willing to consign Kamaka to me for couple of days.

Thank you all for your suggestions and opinions.

Tom
    I somehow missed your collection of ukuleles when I responded. Nice collection!
    And from that, you certainly have an idea of the feel and sound of Kamaka, though not the concert size.

I'm sure you've probably done this, but I'll ask anyway. :-)
    Have you tried various strings on the Collings? But, with your experience with your ukulele collection, I'm sure you've got that part covered.

It would be great if you can have the seller consign the Kamaka to you for a couple days.

Let us know what happens! Either way, you'll have a great ukulele.

Thread Information