Concert Ukuleles

Tomthebaptist

Reaction score
Has anyone here had the opportunity to play 2016-2020 Kamaka HF-2 Concert and Collings UC-K1 Koa Concert? If so, I would appreciate your insight. I have a Collings UC-K1 I am thinking of putting up for sale to fund a Kamaka HF-2. I need help to make up my mind.

Thanks

Tom

You should play a Kamaka before selling your Collings. I think this is why so many buy first, then sell.

A while back Kamaka ukes had varying tone/sound qualities. Some were just better than others. Don't know if that is still true for newer Kamaka ukes. Had a beautiful Kamaka concert built in 2009 that was a bit disappointing to my ears, even with several different changes of strings. Collings are much more consistent, IMHO.

A while back Kamaka ukes had varying tone/sound qualities. Some were just better than others. Don't know if that is still true for newer Kamaka ukes. Had a beautiful Kamaka concert built in 2009 that was a bit disappointing to my ears, even with several different changes of strings. Collings are much more consistent, IMHO.

I've read that they can be hit or miss.

Tom

I guess my question would be why you're thinking of selling the Collings to get a Kamaka.
To my ears, they have different sounds. Do you prefer the sound of the Kamaka?

They also feel different to play, IMO, which of course, you can't decide if you agree without being able to play both, of course. But, do you like the way the Collings feels to play, or are you not happy with that?

I have a preference between the 2 brands, (and I am a concert player), but that's not relevant, I don't think. I think that the important things to consider are what *you* are looking for, and which ukulele would be more likely to suit you based on that.

I will agree with the "hit or miss" regarding Kamaka.

You should play a Kamaka before selling your Collings. I think this is why so many buy first, then sell.

Good advice, Thank you

:agree:

The one thing I’d add to that is that it’s advice that applies across the spectrum of Uke sales and purchases. If you can afford to then it’s really helpful to compare instruments side by side at your leisure, and then to decide what to keep and what, assuming you want to or need to, to sell.

I guess my question would be why you're thinking of selling the Collings to get a Kamaka.
To my ears, they have different sounds. Do you prefer the sound of the Kamaka?

They also feel different to play, IMO, which of course, you can't decide if you agree without being able to play both, of course. But, do you like the way the Collings feels to play, or are you not happy with that?

I have a preference between the 2 brands, (and I am a concert player), but that's not relevant, I don't think. I think that the important things to consider are what *you* are looking for, and which ukulele would be more likely to suit you based on that.

From Graham Greenbag

The one thing I’d add to that is that it’s advice that applies across the spectrum of Uke sales and purchases. If you can afford to then it’s really helpful to compare instruments side by side at your leisure, and then to decide what to keep and what, assuming you want to or need to, to sell.

I will agree with the "hit or miss" regarding Kamaka.

The Collings is very bright, especially when tuned re-entrant. I like a more mellow sound, but I don’t like dead. All of you have confirmed my own thought not to buy without trying them side by side, first. I’ve decided that I will ask the seller the seller if he would be willing to consign Kamaka to me for couple of days.

Thank you all for your suggestions and opinions.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
The Collings is very bright, especially when tuned re-entrant. I like a more mellow sound, but I don’t like dead. All of you have confirmed my own thought not to buy without trying them side by side, first. I’ve decided that I will ask the seller the seller if he would be willing to consign Kamaka to me for couple of days.

Thank you all for your suggestions and opinions.

Tom

I somehow missed your collection of ukuleles when I responded. Nice collection!
And from that, you certainly have an idea of the feel and sound of Kamaka, though not the concert size.

I'm sure you've probably done this, but I'll ask anyway. :)
Have you tried various strings on the Collings? But, with your experience with your ukulele collection, I'm sure you've got that part covered.

It would be great if you can have the seller consign the Kamaka to you for a couple days.

Let us know what happens! Either way, you'll have a great ukulele.

I don't think Kamaka makes any bad ukuleles but some do sound better than others.

I have both, a Collings UC-3, and a Kamaka Deluxe Concert. The two are comparable in that they are both superb instruments. Of course, the voice, and feel of each instrument is different. But I can't say that I prefer one to the other. They're both just wonderful.

I have both, a Collings UC-3, and a Kamaka Deluxe Concert. The two are comparable in that they are both superb instruments. Of course, the voice, and feel of each instrument is different. But I can't say that I prefer one to the other. They're both just wonderful.

Aside from the binding & different bridge, is the deluxe an upgrade in other ways from the HF2? There is a big jump in price from HF2 to deluxe, so I'm wondering if one would hear a difference even if you couldn't see the ukulele?

Hi George, do you have a sound clip of the two that you could share? My guess is that the difference between the UC-1 and the UC-3 are cosmetic and the same for the HF-2 and and Deluxe model. Like Joyful Uke, I'm curious if there is a big difference in sound. I assume that the internal bracing etc. are same.

Tom

Have you tried warm strings on your Collings?

Both my Collings and Kamaka Concert Ukes are in long term storage just now. We're living in an apartment while a new home is being built. I thought my more expensive instruments would be safer in storage. Sorry!

The primary difference between the standard and deluxe Kamakas is in the higher grade Koa used in the deluxe models. The pretty binding is nice too. High grade Koa is apparently getting harder to obtain and consequently more and more expensive. Actually, I really enjoy the new effort some manufacturers are making to use different exotic tone woods. The old school Koa and Mahogany can get boring. I really applaud Ohana in that regard. I have a number of their exotic tone wood Limited Series Concert Ukes, and I love them all. My Sinker Redwood is a killer!

Last edited:
Is the inconsistency in Kamaka ukuleles due to them building so many for so long? Maybe Collings builds fewer?

About the wood, yes, now that I have a Cocobolo uke, I'm so bored playing mahogany.

Is the inconsistency in Kamaka ukuleles due to them building so many for so long? Maybe Collings builds fewer?

About the wood, yes, now that I have a Cocobolo uke, I'm so bored playing mahogany.

Yes, I think it is the length of time and not how many they build.

The sound change as modifications are made to the instrument (e.g. changes to bracing, design) and I think even the wood changes with the time (e.g, Fender using pine and Taylor is using Ash, and good quality wood is less available so we have spruce with wide grain in mid-range instruments; also taste in sound change too, e.g. what sound modern is different in different periods). I think good makers strive for a consistent tone (since it sells); but as time goes on, that tone drifts (e.g. Martin has a line of vintage sound guitars)

I wouldn't say Kamakas are inconsistent. The difference is way more subtle. When you try 3 Kamakas back to back they all will sound good but one will speak to you more that the others.

Top Bottom