Concert Ukuleles

Hi Joy, I would be interested to know your preference. I

Were you able to try the HF2 yet? If so, what was your preference, which is the one that matters as far as this thread goes. :)

My preference is Collings with Living Water Strings.

I don't like the stock Kamaka strings, but am not sure what other strings make the HF2 happy. I thought that Martins were good, but maybe something changed with those, because the last string change made me question those. Took those off and tried Uke Logic, and initially was happy with those, but once they settled in, I don't like those either. The a string does not sound good. So, when I get a chance, maybe I'll try either Living Water strings on there, or give Martins another try. Too busy shoveling lately to do string changes. I hate winter weather....

I wouldn't say Kamakas are inconsistent. The difference is way more subtle. When you try 3 Kamakas back to back they all will sound good but one will speak to you more that the others.

This is my experience as well, at least with current Kamakas, and an admittedly small sample size. I have owned two, one from 2016 and one from 2020. They both sounded great.

Older ones may be more inconsistent, but I don't have as much experience with those. I have played a few older ones at Elderly Instruments, back before the plague times. Many of them didn't speak to me as much as the newer ones, but often times the older ones were on consignment and strung with nylguts, which I just don't care for on a Kamaka, so strings may have had a really big influence on my experience.

Were you able to try the HF2 yet? If so, what was your preference, which is the one that matters as far as this thread goes. :)

My preference is Collings with Living Water Strings.

I don't like the stock Kamaka strings, but am not sure what other strings make the HF2 happy. I thought that Martins were good, but maybe something changed with those, because the last string change made me question those. Took those off and tried Uke Logic, and initially was happy with those, but once they settled in, I don't like those either. The a string does not sound good. So, when I get a chance, maybe I'll try either Living Water strings on there, or give Martins another try. Too busy shoveling lately to do string changes. I hate winter weather....

Hi Joy, thank you for your insight. I was not able to play the Collings and Kamaka side by side. However, I decided to stick with the Collings and try other strings. I have a couple of sets of Uke Logic strings on order. I’ve had good results with these on both my Collings UT Tenor and my Kamaka HF-3 as well as my LoPrinzi Tenor. With all of that said, I plan to keep the Collings. It’s really about the difference between apples and oranges.

Tom

Hi Joy, thank you for your insight. I was not able to play the Collings and Kamaka side by side. However, I decided to stick with the Collings and try other strings. I have a couple of sets of Uke Logic strings on order. I’ve had good results with these on both my Collings UT Tenor and my Kamaka HF-3 as well as my LoPrinzi Tenor. With all of that said, I plan to keep the Collings. It’s really about the difference between apples and oranges.

Tom

I hope you'll let us know what you think of the Uke Logic strings on the concert Collings. I sometimes think a string change takes care of UAS for me, because it can give me a slightly new sound and/or feel for a ukulele.

You were in a win/win situation with the Collings vs. Kamaka. But it would be harder to replace the Collings if you decided that you missed it.

I hope you'll let us know what you think of the Uke Logic strings on the concert Collings. I sometimes think a string change takes care of UAS for me, because it can give me a slightly new sound and/or feel for a ukulele.

You were in a win/win situation with the Collings vs. Kamaka. But it would be harder to replace the Collings if you decided that you missed it.

Joy, I wanted to let you know that the UkeLogic strings on my Collings Koa concert made all the difference in the world in sound and feel. Im glad I didn’t sell it.. Thanks to every for nudging me in the right direction.

By the way, although my handle is TomtheBaptist, I’m not a Baptist, but rather, a “ Recovering Baptist.”

Tom

Joy, I wanted to let you know that the UkeLogic strings on my Collings Koa concert made all the difference in the world in sound and feel. Im glad I didn’t sell it.. Thanks to every for nudging me in the right direction.

By the way, although my handle is TomtheBaptist, I’m not a Baptist, but rather, a “ Recovering Baptist.”

Tom

Glad to hear it. I'm amazed at how much of a difference various strings can make on a ukulele. Sometimes the cure for UAS is simply trying different strings.

Enjoy your Collings!

Top Bottom