NGD. Jupiter Guilele / Guitalele. Ancient Spruce Top.

Lapyang

Reaction score
I actually have this Guitalele for a while but never got around to introduce it.

This Guitalele is built by Mr. Jonathan Dale at Jupiter Ukulele. This is my second instrument from Jon. You can check out my Doggie Parade Tenor built by Jon at the link here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?134692-NUD-Jupiter-quot-Doggie-Parade-quot-Tenor&highlight=doggie

Jon was super patient with me about designing this guitalele (he calls it parlor guitar). He worked with me about the custom nut width, scale length, string spacing, fretboard radius, frets to body... etc. A truly bespoke instrument. I highly recommend Jon if you are thinking of a custom instrument. He is actually currently building me a Baritone ukulele, my third instrument from Jon.

Here are some spec:

6 string Guitalele (Parlor Guitar)
Scale- 19 in, 19 frets
Size- Baritone
Scooped upper bout for higher fret access
Side sound port
Top- Ancient Sitka Spruce (3000 year old)
Body- Pennsylvania Black Walnut
Neck- Spanish Cedar
Binding- Bog Oak (2000-4000 year old)
Fingerboard/Bridge- Nameless Rosewood, 10in radius.
Fingerboard Inlay- Red Abalone
Headplate- Pommele Sapele
Rosette- Asymmetrical, Pink Abalone

IMG_1789.jpg
IMG_1794.jpg
IMG_1788.jpg
IMG_1790.jpg
IMG_1795.jpg

I currently tune it g-to-G, 2 half steps down from the traditional a-to-A guitalele tuning. I like it to feel little slack at the bass strings, I feel it suits my playing better.

Here is a video of the instrument.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a stunner! Jon outdid himself with that one. I love the torrified spruce/ walnut with the sapwood combo.

Sweet! I also prefer Terz tuning on my 19" Jupiter and leave A-to-a for the tenor. What strings do you have on it?

That's awesome, Joseph! Jonathan does such beautiful work and he's so easy to work with! It's funny...I was just thinking yesterday about if I should commission another Jupiter uke. And here you come just at the right time with this gorgeous instrument!

I never had or played a walnut-bodied ukulele. And being a Pennsylvanian, I'd love to have one with Pennsylvania walnut...Hmmm. This could be dangerous! :drool:

That's awesome, Joseph! Jonathan does such beautiful work and he's so easy to work with! It's funny...I was just thinking yesterday about if I should commission another Jupiter uke. And here you come just at the right time with this gorgeous instrument!

I never had or played a walnut-bodied ukulele. And being a Pennsylvanian, I'd love to have one with Pennsylvania walnut...Hmmm. This could be dangerous! :drool:

Larry, I am sorry if I put any ideas in your head... :drool:

Wow Joseph you moved over to the 6 string side...........careful there my friend it’s a slippery slope:p

Congratulations that is a beautiful looking and sounding instrument. The walnut is gorgeous with pronounced grain and the sap strip in the middle. I have a couple ukuleles with walnut back and side and I like it as a tone wood. Enjoy it.

Wow Joseph you moved over to the 6 string side...........careful there my friend it’s a slippery slope:p

Congratulations that is a beautiful looking and sounding instrument. The walnut is gorgeous with pronounced grain and the sap strip in the middle. I have a couple ukuleles with walnut back and side and I like it as a tone wood. Enjoy it.

Slippery slope indeed! I need to be strong, Dave...

Top Bottom