Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Siv's Ukulelog

Default Siv's Ukulelog

I'm starting to log mainly so that I have a record of this new hobby and to see how it develops.

Some background first. My 12yo daughter has been watching someone called "Soot" on YouTube and asked me if she can get an acoustic guitar. Having dabbled in my youth I decided to get her a 3/4 Oscar Schmidt acoustic which she likes and has been working on learning.

Now she's a lefty so I found it nearly impossible to show her fingering etc as it was all reversed. But I didn't want to buy a guitar for myself to play with her as it would likely just collect dust. My sister was visiting at the time and suggested a ukulele. So the search began.

I read and watched videos and decided that I would spend a little more than the bare minimum on an instrument so ended up placing an order for an Ohana PKT-25G from Uke Republic, including the matching hard case.

I really like the pineapple shape - as is typical for me, I prefer things that are not so conventional. Solid mahogany, not too expensive and definitely appealing to the eye. I'm pretty happy with this purchase!

Hi Siv, I'm in the same boat as you (except that I don't have a daughter that I acknowledge). I've been annotating my uke experience for four years now. It is good to see someone else here.

While I was waiting for the Ohana to arrive, my sister and I got chatting and I somehow ended up ordering another uke from Amazon. I wanted to see the difference between a slimline uke and a regular so I bought this for $50.

It's a Kmise travel tenor and it looks a lot fancier on Amazon than real life. Although if it had a gloss finish, it would be stunning. Overall, it's pretty well put together but the finish on it is so thick it makes it look and feel like plastic. You can see that it's laminate but they did use double sided laminate so the tiger stripe is visible through the sound hole. It's definitely not as resonant as the Ohana and a little thin sounding but it has fulfilled its purpose nicely - I definitely find the wider standard body more comfortable to play seated than this thinner version. It will now be my experimentation rig for different tunings and string combinations.

So next on the list of things to buy are tuners. I was using my phone but it's a bit clunky and I wanted something more dedicated to the instrument. I looked on Amazon and bought a whole bunch!

• Snark SN6X Clip-On Tuner for Ukulele
    • D'Addario Accessories Eclipse
    • Korg CA-2
    • D'Addario Ukulele Soundhole Tuner
    • D'Addario Micro Guitar Tuner

I gave the Eclipse to my daughter to use on her guitar. The Korg is destined for another musical project and will live in my workshop.

The micros are nice but I'm finding it hard to find a place to put them where they don't stand out and interfere with my left hand or the case.

My favourite of all is the soundhole tuner. It's discrete, always there and doesn't get in the way. My only complaint is that it's $20 when the micro ones are essentially the same thing but half the price. I've been keeping an eye on Amazon and will pick up more when the price drops. I managed to find another one on a "warehouse deal" for $11 over the weekend.

While buying toys is a lot of fun, I'm guessing that I should also be learning how to play! Having a little familiarity from the guitar, my sister and I searched for a tune that we could learn easily and we found Over the Rainbow by Iz.

I found a video by Uke Like the Pros and followed along.

The strumming pattern is quite the challenge but the chords are relatively easy so this the first song I learned to play! I then discovered UkuTabs which has little more complicated version but still relatively doable. UkuTabs is a great resource so we searched for another song and found Lava which was a very quick and easy one to learn and we spent a good half an hour playing along to the short on the TV.

YouTube is a wonderful resource so I decided that I would try out one of the ukulele courses. I settled on Andy's Guitar 10 day course and right now I'm on day 8. It's been fun and about the right speed for me.

I try and not spend too much of my disposable income on hobbies as they tend to come and go. However, I had sold some stuff and had some money burning a hole in my Paypal account and I was constantly drooling over more expensive ukes. One that caught my eye is the Tiny Tenor - what a nice idea, a tenor scale but concert sized instrument. And then I saw the spalted mango and I had to have one. I searched and searched and all that were available were pretty plain looking and not the funky stand-out grain that some have. Finally I found one for sale at Aloha City, dropped them an email to confirm that the pictures match the uke and snap bought.

Sweet sounding, funky looking and with a low G, this is the uke that I'm picking up almost all the time to play now. My only slight disappointment is the lack of a hard case. I tried it in a tenor hard case and it fits as in the pic below but will have to see if it fits a concert equivalent. One of the sad things about funky looking ukes is that finding hard cases is gonna be hard to impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    Hi Siv, I'm in the same boat as you (except that I don't have a daughter that I acknowledge). I've been annotating my uke experience for four years now. It is good to see someone else here.
    ripock, I wanted to read your thread before replying but only managed to get about 4 or 5 pages in! It has been years since I learned music theory and I've forgotten it all. Your thread comes across as a far more advanced take than mine will likely ever be. So while I'm playing a little every day, it's likely this thread is gonna be more about toys than technique!

Last night my daughter and I learned "Can't help falling in love" and serenaded my wife (who's a big UB40 fan). It went down a treat.

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

Siv--your jumping in the deep end.......all is good......having multiple ukes gives you multiple choices.....as you will see some folks are dedicated to one or just a few while others have the ukes moving in and out of their hands a a fast pace and others have large collections.......

TKL might have a case for the Tiny Tenor??

Oh, yea and serenading loved ones can have lots of benefits........
    Last edited by mjh42; 02-03-2021 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    ripock, I wanted to read your thread before replying but only managed to get about 4 or 5 pages in! It has been years since I learned music theory and I've forgotten it all. Your thread comes across as a far more advanced take than mine will likely ever be. So while I'm playing a little every day, it's likely this thread is gonna be more about toys than technique!

Last night my daughter and I learned "Can't help falling in love" and serenaded my wife (who's a big UB40 fan). It went down a treat.
    That's cool. And your log will be much better received than mine because you use pictures and make reading it easier for an audience. I only write for myself and I have actually been criticized because of that. Keep up the good work

While noodling on the uke, and following along to some YouTube videos, I came across some uke building vids. I have often watched guitar builders and marveled at their skill but since this was pre-uke, it was nothing more than entertainment. Now my interest is piqued.

I am a hobbyist woodworker, mainly supporting my wife's painting activities by making frames for her artwork. And the occasional Christmas present.

So the search began for some plans. And surprisingly, there are several available online for free!
    https://www.oaktownstrings.com/free-instrument-plans

I also discovered the Hana Lima 'Ia site where they sell printed versions as well as an instruction book. An order was placed!

Once my table saw is fixed up (don't ask), this is definitely a project that I'll be taking on.

Thread Information