Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Siv's Ukulelog

My son and I finally got the table saw working again so the immediate project is a case for the tiny tenor. I should know better but I just went straight at it, rather than thinking.

The box was easy enough but like an idiot, I forgot to account for the thickness of the ends!

I had to notch out one of the ends to get the uke to fit:

It's snug but there's room for 2mm foam at either end.

The second mistake I made was gluing the foam into the box when I should have left it removable so I can wrap and tuck the lining. Ah well, I have learned for the next one.

I'll have to see what to do - perhaps build a thin box from 1/4" ply or cardboard which can be covered in tweed or some other sturdy fabric to serve as the outside. Anyway, still some work to go but it came together very quickly and cost almost nothing (scrap plywood, foam floor mats from Harbor Freight and some left over velvet).

My wife has a little corner in our house where she keeps her prized junk. It's junk because they're all on the whole totally impractical or useless yet they seem to serve some kind of nostalgia. For example, an ashtray when neither of us smoke and an analogue phone when we don't have a land line. Anyway, to add something practical to the corner, I was on the search for a Banjo uke. While researching, one popped up on the marketplace here so I bought it.

The Duke 10 arrived will all the accoutrements and a low G. It looks in perfect condition and like it was never played. However the frets ends are a little sharp so that's something I'll have to take care of. I may restring it to re-entrant as I think that suits the banjo better. It's certainly some fun and I've been learning some fingerpicking which is all the more enjoyable on a banjolele!

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

I see you have been rubbing the jinni lamp on the window sill and all your ukulele dreams are coming to fruition. Sounds like happy times

One of the most dangerous things about joining a forum is the marketplace. What initially started as a glance here and there became a daily stalk. And when a Koaloha Opio became available, I made an offer and the seller kindly accepted! She arrived on Monday. Wow what a revelation. This uke is an order of magnitude louder than all the others I have tried. And also it plays like a dream - I put this down to Mim's setup, she being the original source of this instrument.

Since getting my hands on this uke on Monday, I haven't touched the Tiny Tenor. I was speaking to my sister last night and she scolded me for neglecting my other ukes. So I picked up TT last night and had a little noodle. She's certainly a richer sounding uke just shockingly quiet compared to the Opio. I think the Opio is the one I'll be noodling on until people go to bed - then I can continue on the TT.

Now I have a problem though - has the Opio ruined all other ukes for me?

I was sitting in the car the other day while the kids were in Karate class thinking that it would be nice to have a uke in the car so I could noodle at time like this. I also love watching YouTube reviews and Baz's videos are a favourite. That lead me to the Enya Nova. Nice plastic uke that I can leave in the car and not worry about. And $60 for the soprano from Amazon... why not.

It's really a surprising instrument. Loud enough, easy to play and Enya give you a lot for the price. The case, tuner, extra strings etc are all unnecessary yet create a nice package. Clearly they got the design right as it plays well right out of the box and you can't really adjust it anyway. The soprano size allows me to sit in the driver's seat and still fit the uke in. Any larger and I'd be hitting the window with the headstock. Finally a damn good reason why the British drive on the correct side of the road - they won't have this problem (unless they're left handed).

And before you say anything, I'm not ukeing and driving, this is strictly for the carpark!

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

Just as each child brings their own special joy to your heart so too will each ukulele that you posses bring a special sound and feel to your heart as well......

So at what point is it considered a problem?

Three days and three ukuleles!

My sister was talking about plastic ukes a while ago and how she didn't like hers so I started watching a few more uke review videos and saw good things said about the Outdoor. Now how to justify buying one? Well I thought it would be cool to have a uke I could leave in the car and the outdoor certainly ticks those boxes being fine in ridiculous extremes of temperature. Of course, this was ordered before the Enya and I didn't think about the practicalities of sitting in the drivers seat and the neck hitting the window. Anyway, here she is. Surprisingly heavy for a uke, not that loud but it doesn't sound plastic. I quite like it and it's very easy to play. I'll have to play this a bit to get the strings to settle and then it'll be the literal outdoor uke - not sure if I'll leave it in the car as they Enya's there now. Perhaps something to noodle with by the pool?

OK, no ukuleles today

I wanted to find a storage solution for my ukes where I can grab and go easily in the house. A wall mount or two would be ideal but as you can see I have already accumulated a number. So I was thinking about what way to get them securely mounted (screwing into the studs) and not have wall mounts peppered around the house. My wife gave me permission to use a wall that is in the corridor from the living room to our bedroom so I measured up, found the studs and made a plan. I was originally planning on making the hangers from wood myself but after seeing pictures of damage, I thought it best if I just buy them. It looks like silicone a gives the best grip yet no chance of damage so I started searching. In the end I bought a 6-pack of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085FX6R4V/

I removed the hangers from the wooden blocks, rescued the t-nut and cut a couple of pieces of oak to fit. I routed a profile on the edges, drilled some holes, stain and wax and we're ready to go.

My wife approves so that's all the blessing I need! I have a humidity gauge arriving today that I'll mount up there also.

There's room for one more uke though...

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    That's cool. And your log will be much better received than mine because you use pictures and make reading it easier for an audience. I only write for myself and I have actually been criticized because of that. Keep up the good work
    No way should you be criticized for writing only for yourself, Ripock. I for one enjoy reading your posts, although I don't always understand the technical and "theory" aspects very well. I'm sure many others enjoy following you too. And we'll enjoy Siv's thoughts as well. As MJH said above, "All is good."

I wish there were like buttons on this forum as I'd like to like all the responses I've had. Since this is the shameless self promotion section, we should not feel the slightest bit of shame

I'm usually a buy once cry once kinda guy but it sometimes takes some time to realize what the "buy once" should be. I decided that I should stop messing around and go straight to the source. I sold a few things from another hobby and set out looking for a Kamaka. Not all that easy a task since they seem to sell out at the more reputable stores relatively quickly. Finally I found a tenor at Ukulelelab and struck up a conversation with Isaac who was incredibly helpful. The added bonus is that the serial number is a combination of my lucky number and my wife's lucky number. I guess it was meant to be mine. So I paid and was excited to get my uke in a few short days.

The heavens decided that would not be the case and the icepocalypse struck Texas. The uke had made it from Honolulu to Memphis in a day and promptly sat there while all around froze. With no power and water and the temperature and humidity rapidly dropping in the house, I thought it probably best that she wasn't with me. At least Memphis has power!

Finally, a week later, she arrived and was handed to my wife. I rushed to open and check the condition and thoughtful packing with a Boveda humidity pack meant she came out perfect. She's a little quiet but rich - I think I'm going to enjoy experiencing how I grow with her.

The Opio is great for low G and loud and the outdoor uke serves well as a beater. Now my problem is what to do with the other wooden - the Tiny Tenor and Ohana Pineapple.

Thread Information