Grabbed an opportunity: NUD soon

NotJake

Reaction score
My wife and I agreed to set aside some money to treat ourselves this year, to get a little joy as we enter the second year of lockdown. (Because we all know that money solves everything.) So even though I still can’t play a song of more than three chords without screwing up, I took my $1,000 gift-to-self and went out and bought some quality ukuleles. My wife doesn’t usually agree to such things.

On the way to my house from HMS are a new Pono ATD solid acacia tenor (restrung in Low G), and a solid acacia KoAloha Opio KSO-10 soprano. If clothes make the man, I am hoping these instruments will make this man the musician. A big shout-out to Mika at HMS for his help in deciding the best instruments for me and in getting these along with a case for the Pono, some humidifiers, and a tuner all within just a few dollars above my budget. Hopefully, after the full set-up by HMS, NUD will be here soon. I will try to post photos when they arrive.

I also wanted to shout-out to Mim of Mim’s Ukes, who spent some time with me over e-mail trying to get a good combo for me within budget. In the end, I liked the Pono/Opio combination and she does not carry Pono. It’s great this uke community has some wonderful retailers who like working with customers and potential customers, and who enjoy building up the ukulele community.

One last thing: I found a lot of info on this forum and on-line about the Pono, but not as much about the Opio soprano. It seems more people talk about the spruce-top KSO-10S than about the all-acacia model. Anyone with experience here with the KSO-10 that they would like to share? No second-thoughts here, but I always like reading comments about things I am purchasing or have purchased.

Last edited:
You should be very happy with these ukes. Mika and the HMS crew do a GREAT job. The ukes will be well set up, very playable, and inspected thoroughly. The hardest thing about buying from HMS is the wait, but it will be well worth it.

Does the uke make the musician? No, but it certainly helps when you love the tones coming out of it! Enjoy!

I can't give you any information on the ukuleles that you bought, but I know that both HMS and Mim would take good care of you.
For those who can, I think we've all earned something to give us some joy as we still deal with the tough times.

Looking forward to your NUD, and hope that you get a lot of enjoyment from your new ukuleles.
And I hope that your wife enjoys whatever she gifted herself as well.

Top Bottom