Any Tenor Horn Players out There?

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Gave up the French Horn when I decided to go to law school. Couldn't keep up the necessary practice time to maintain proficiency. Was playing 5 to 6 hours a day. A few years later, I started up playing Tenor Horn. Much less demanding instrument. Got pretty good on it, played in a first rate studio jazz band, sight transposing the 3rd Trombone parts. Then I spent some years playing in various Salvation Army bands. The Horn has been in its case for a couple of years now, and I'm really thinking about getting it out again. I love playing the Bach Cello Suites on it, especially Number Two. Anyone else out there playing Tenor Horn?

What do you mean by “Tenor” horn? Do you mean “Alto” horn? The one like a little baritone? The British call it TH. We call the same instrument AH.

And, yes, I tried my High School’s AH out 68 years ago, but I didn’t like it’s tone. Also it’s band music was overly simple and very boring. So I switched back to baritone in the band. I also played French Horn in the orchestra.

Years later, on a whim, I bought a euphonium, and I just loved it. I played it for a while, but I got to the point where I could no longer reach it’s many high notes. Sadly, I traded it in for something else.

I love buying instruments. If I was much younger, I would take up the oboe and/or the cello.

He means the E♭ horn which is a staple of British-style brass bands. I played it through high school. Love the instrument!

Yes, I believe in the US it’s called alto horn and is not so widely used.

Top Bottom