Season 468 - Hi, You Don't Know Me Yet But...

I thought I should post this since it's the song I played at the open mic that led to the discussion about this as a possible theme. I was a bit surprised that nobody else knew it, but on the other hand, Ocean Colour Scene were kind of overshadowed by the likes of Blur and Oasis at the time, and I probably mostly remember it because it was a hit while I was at university!

It's a bit rough, and to be honest I'm not sure it suits me very much, but if I worried too much about that I'd never post anything, so here it is anyway.

(Also, I wanted to get it in today because it includes the line "sing for those I know on their birthdays" - happy birthday Jim!)

R. Stevie Moore is the greatest songwriter you've never heard of. Over the last five decades he has released over 400 records, always flying under the radar of mainstream culture. I've been listening to his music since the early '80s, and his low fi approach to the recording studio and music videos is a continuing influence on me. Here's "I Like to Stay Home", for concert ukulele with singing, overdubs of Ashbory Ubass, secondary vocals, and fuzz uke.

Happy birthday, Jim - Thanks for hosting!

Season #467 - Hi, You Don't Know Me Yet, But. . .
Bernie Martin was a multi-instrumentalist, singer, songwriter, actor, playwright, painter, story teller, poet, clown, puppeteer, environmentalist... who loved life and his work. We lost Bernie in 1995, but he lives on in his songs and poems.
In 1990, Bernie put together a group consisting of Maggie Yates, Zeke Mazurek, Jim Yates and Ted Staunton called The Piper's Hut. They played Celtic, rags, old time and original pieces and Bernie recited his poetry between songs.
Here's one of Bernie's songs that hits home at my age.
PIPER'SHUT.jpgL to R - Bernie, Ted, Zeke, Maggie, Me
I still have the last message that Bernie left me on my answering machine.
Bernie played fiddle, button accordion, hammered dulcimer, guitar. . .

Last edited:
happy birthday jim!

before ukes came along to gobble up all my time, i used to make fan vids - setting fave moments from tv shows and films, to music that i really liked, and that i thought fitted the clips. a musician, janet rucci, contacted me and asked if i'd check out some of her songs, and use one for a vid if i liked them. i hadn't heard of her before, but her music is really great and one particular song stood out as just the thing for my channel, the song is "window to your soul", i did a fan vid using it, and the music always stayed in my mind, here is my uke cover for the season...

janet's amazing original here is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei9nlcT3yJ4
and more of her songs are here https://www.youtube.com/user/nlkju/featured

You'd have no reason to have seen this video since this is a new and so far lesser-known band, but this was the most fun music video I saw in 2020. For those in other countries, CVS is one of the U.S.'s largest nationwide chains of drugstores (druggist's).

a song written and recorded by Furious, a local Teddy Boy band from Wirral. I don't suppose that anybody outside the rock'n'roll scene will ever have heard of them ...

thank you for this week Jim and many happies mate.

Last edited:
Was very much hoping to bring something by Polyphia, Covet or Ichika Nito this week but alas their songs are beyond the powers of a mortal such as I.

This one's by Nothing But Thieves. They've got relatively big recently, probably competing with Royal Blood and Biffy Clyro for Britain's biggest current rock band, but rock's diminished presence on the musical landscape and the fact they're a very recent success makes me feel they're going to be fairly obscure round these parts.

This is the lead single off their latest album.

Just want to make sure you all know:

Joko checked in on Facebook to let everyone know he's okay.

Here's another one I did quickly before I noticed the three song limit (I have a lot of ideas)

My favourite song from lo-fi surf-rockers Best Coast. And for the first time Isaac has actually asked to take part rather than me just plonking him in shot knowing he can't escape.

Hello, Jim ... good news about Joko! I found this song from French group, Dionysos, which were formed in 1993, when still at school. They are well known in France (but not by me!), and their songs apparently tend towards the surreal and eccentric. I was strangely attracted to the title, as we have had snow since Christmas Day and it only finally disappeared in the last couple of days. Actually, I think the imagery of the snow is just used to illustrate the protagonist's misery, but the opportunity was too good to miss.

About 20 years or so ago, a friend introduced me to the music of Dan Bern. Since then, other than the odd late night radio play on obscure programs (and, okay, the fact that I've since bought several of his records) I've not really heard much about him. This is "Soul" from his 2003 album Fleeting Days.

Thanks for the concern, folks, sorry I haven't checked in earlier. I write about waking up to a coup over in the General chat thread.

But here we have music. The Bastard Fairies. I had a friend and colleague who gave me a copy of their one and only album back in 2010, and he was into them because their lead singer, Yellow Thunder Woman, was a Native American, and my friend (RIP 29 Rabbits) was very proud of his Native heritage...

You can still download their debut album at thebastardfaries.com for "name your price"

Ten years ago today, I lost my youngest brother Dave to the cancer he'd been fighting for a while. Dave was a virtuoso musician and human being and I've found myself listening to some of his recordings today. Most of Dave's compositions were jazz flavoured and had extended chords. I'd never really heard Dave do much country-style playing, but I found this one which won't take me too long to learn, that sounds kinda country to me.
In 2009, Canada came up with a no-call list that you could enter your name into to prevent unwanted phone calls. This information was taken from their website:
National Do Not Call List (DNCL)
For Consumers - List your home, mobile, fax or VoIP number to reduce telemarketing calls. Registration is free.
Telemarketers have 31 days from the date you register to stop contacting you.

The date on Dave's song is also 2009. It's called The List. He figured that not everyone would find the list useful.

Dave Yates.jpgOne of Dave's last photos
Dave & Jim in Ottawa.jpgDave and me in Ottawa

Last edited:
A long time ago in Liverpool, I bumped into a fellow songwriter whose surname turned out to be Street. A few blocks from us was a street called Armstrong Street. We determined to have our future album cover show the two of us standing beneath the street sign. Sadly, as the song explains, this was not to be and now can never be, because Google Maps has revealed that the street no longer even exists in Liverpool. (Flattened to make way for a retail park, no doubt).

Anyway, you don't get bands more obscure than those that folded before they took off. Here's my tribute to what might have been and I am sure this tale applies to many of you Seasonistas who have been involved in duets, trios or bands.

Hope you enjoy:

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention about global warming is that we now have all these snowstorms that change to rain in the middle of the night, then back to snow, so the stuff is way too heavy in the morning for my snowblower to move. This is at least the fourth of these we've had in the last two winters. I came out after dark last night to move the first 4-5 inches (10-12 cm), but this morning my snowblower doesn't have enough horsepower to move anything that came down since. And since I've had a heart attack in the past, my ticker can't handle shoveling this heavy stuff. So it's a good thing we have bread, eggs, milk, and toilet paper, because we may not be getting out of the driveway until there's a warm stretch. Time to kick back and watch ukulele videos.

I don't usually put more than one song into a season but I just learned this one and I've been playing around with some video software.
This was written by a man named Jeremy Messersmith. It's the only song that I've heard from him but I bet he has more great songs.

Hi everyone! Thanks for a great theme, Jim. I’m sure many of you will know this band, but I am hopeful that this song will be new to most. Our Houston, TX residents will probably know it, since the band tours extensively in Texas. This song was a favorite of mine in graduate school and I have so many fond memories of seeing Brave Combo in the bars they played in Oklahoma City and Norman, Oklahoma and dancing like a wild thing to it. Enjoy!

Ice Machine In The Desert
Carl Finch, 1987

Ice Machine In The Desert
Carl Finch of Brave Combo, 1987

Intro: Bm F#

Some people in Africa have never seen ice, how could they?

‘Cause it’s hot there most of the time and when it’s not, it’s warm

The Sahara Desert is very big, yet in that void I see

An ice machine on nothing, there’s no electricity

An ice machine over-flowing with cubes, a frozen oasis of steel

Hummin’ and providing’ relief for the way people feel

Chorus
Don’t forget your bucket! Don’t forget your bucket!

Don’t forget your bucket, bucket! Don’t forget your bucket!

You know, Gila Monsters cross the road from here to El Paso

Every poisonous snake in the land can be found here, too, you know

And, scorpions aren’t afraid, they give you very little space

They make you line up in single file, so try not to lose your place!

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

How can I make you see the things you can’t believe?

Your fear is illogical, you seem very wise, but that doesn’t matter to me

For I was back in the sandbox playing with toys when I spilled my coke

And, like a fur-covered spoon, it made me think, isn’t life a funny joke?

It’s like an ice machine over-flowing with cubes, a frozen oasis of steel

Hummin’ and providin’ relief for the way people feel

Repeat Chorus twice

Top Bottom