Season 468 - Hi, You Don't Know Me Yet But...

uke4ia

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
SEASON 468 -- Hi, You Don’t Know Me Yet But…

This is a theme that JTSteam brought up at the Seasonistas open mic a couple of weeks ago. I thought he was going to use it for Season 467, but since he didn’t, I’m going to use it because we all thought it was right in my wheelhouse.

It has often been pointed out to me that I listen to a lot of obscur… -- ahem, I mean, lesser-known -- artists. I have an addiction to songs, and it’s never mattered to me whether they were by big stars or virtual unknowns. They wrote a great song, so they’re stars to me. I’ve found a couple of places where I can find new music I like, such as the KEXP.org “The Weekly Mix” new music podcast, and a lot of times it was made by musicians I hadn’t heard of before.

This week I want you to bring us songs that you really like by artists who you think hardly any of us will know.

It’s okay if you find out afterward that a bunch of Seasonistas know them, we’re not playing Stump the Stars. The goal is that we will introduce each other to some great music we didn’t know about.

If you want to write an original, make it about toiling in obsc… -- lesser-knownedness -- or wanting recognition and/or fame and/or stardom for one’s real or wishful accomplishments.

If you think you just don’t know any lesser-known artists, my YouTube playlists page has my annual favorite songs of the year playlists from 2014 to 2020. Most of the people on these lists are lesser-known. Sometimes I don’t realize just how lesser-known they are until I look for the videos to put on the playlist, and I’m surprised by how few views they have.

MY PLAYLIST PAGE

Despite their being lesser-known, for artists who have recorded since 2000, there’s a solid chance someone will have posted the song chords on the Ultimate Guitar Tab Archive site, and posted the lyrics on the many sites that compile song lyrics.

Rules:

• The video must be a new video recorded for this Season.
• The video must say that it is for the 468th Season of the Ukulele.
• Multitracking is okay, overdubs are okay. But I'm most interested in hearing you perform a song on the ukulele.
• Original songs are always welcome.
• Collaborations are always welcome.
• Collaborations on original songs? Hell, yeah!
• Videos must be posted to this thread. But not before midnight tonight, Hawaiian time. (And remember, Season 467 still has a day to go!)
• The Season lasts for 8 days, and ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, February 7.
NO MORE THAN THREE VIDEOS!
• My plan at the moment is to give prizes to three winners who will be chosen randomly. I usually give t-shirts as prizes.

SEASON 468 PLAYLIST

To get you in the mood, here’s a song by Le Groupe Lesser-Known:

Last edited:
What an excellent idea :). I don't think it was me who thought of it as a possible theme, though, I just did a song by a band that it turned out nobody knew and someone (Brian maybe?) suggested it could work. Maybe I'll try recording the song in question this week...

I think I have a really bad intuition for who people have heard of, so it'll be fun to see what happens!

What an excellent idea :). I don't think it was me who thought of it as a possible theme, though, I just did a song by a band that it turned out nobody knew and someone (Brian maybe?) suggested it could work. Maybe I'll try recording the song in question this week...

I think I have a really bad intuition for who people have heard of, so it'll be fun to see what happens!

Maybe you had suggested one-hit wonders, which led to a discussion that some people were very popular in one country and unknown in another. I'm turning 60 tomorrow, and I've been practicing having a worse memory for the past year.

Excellent idea, Jim! (I think my "obscure" is likely to be old or foreign, rather than the new artists and songs you manage to find.)

This made me think that nobody probably knows Guesch Patti (Although she had a reasonable hit here with Etienne, see below), but I don't do French, so that is going to be an issue ;). I think the record that is on has many more great songs, but they are all in French so that is not helping.

Mrs RABB glanced over my shoulder and went "this'll be your week then"

Jim, you’ve done it again. Happy birthday a day early, too!

This made me think that nobody probably knows Guesch Patti (Although she had a reasonable hit here with Etienne, see below), but I don't do French, so that is going to be an issue ;). I think the record that is on has many more great songs, but they are all in French so that is not helping.

The record company has blocked this video from being watched in the U.S., but I watched a video of "Etienne" that was available.

Well this could be a good theme for handing back well known blues songs to their not so well known originators. Arthur 'Big Boy' Cruddup springs to mind straight away.

Last edited:
Thank you Jim. Looking forward to some known unknowns and unknown knowns. I googled obscure singer songwriters. Came up with this guy. An English - Canadian. David Wiffen. A folkie from the seventies. Seems like he could have been more successful judging by the couple of songs I listened to. The songs and performances were impressive.
This song has been covered by a few well known people.
I think if I was his manager I may have given him a stage name.....something besides Wiffen.

This is by Sid Laverents, who was an interesting man. A professional musician who became an aircraft engineer and amateur filmmaker.

He's known for making Multiple Sidosis, a brilliant short film. Well worth looking up.

I recorded this a few weeks ago but for some reason the end went missing - here's another attempt.

And another one. This is Jake Thackeray.

When I was a kid he used to have a spot on a Sunday evening TV show called that's life. He used to do little comic songs.

Frankly, a lot of people who know who he is don't like him very much. Some people also find him a bit sexist, but I am not sure that's fair. Everyone was fair game in his world. I love him though. Such a brilliant, inventive lyricist. The epitome of the introverted musician. He could never become famous today. People don't have the attention span for him.

This is one of his early songs. Not a funny one. I will try to get a funny one recorded, but it will take a while as they're all quite hard to work out. Watch this space!

Hey, Jim. Thanks for hosting and many happy returns!

Here's a song by Nomeansno for the season. For those of you unfamiliar with them, Nomeansno were a Canadian hardcore/punk outfit built around (and originally comprising only of) brothers John and Rob Wright on drums and bass.
I saw them perform a few times and a tighter musical unit you would be hard pressed to find!

Here's a link to the first track from their best album, Wrong (1989) which shows them at the height of their awesomeness!
As a wise woman once said, "I'm all about that bass..."

https://youtu.be/zPyAii6f-hc

Let's get started!

People in the UK with an ear on the folk scene will probably have heard of Show Of Hands, but at last night's online open-mic, their name drew a total blank from the random sample of Seasonistas present. So I consider them less well known enough.

This is their song about the decline of the Cornish mining industry, and the towns that went with it - in 1875 alone, around 10,000 miners emigrated to go underground in other countries. It is said that anywhere in the world where mining is done today, you will still find Cornish names on the payroll.

Ahoy
I missed last week but hope to come back strong this week (I couldn't think of a thing for last week and then life got in the way)
Here is a song by the brilliant Belgian band dEUS - a wonderful group that I have seen play live both in Iceland and in Denmark. This is a song from their excellent album In a Bar, Under the Sea

Top Bottom