Season 468 - Hi, You Don't Know Me Yet But...

Hello, yet again, Jim! I have obviously had too much time on my hands this week, but after two rather sombre songs, I felt it was time for a little light relief. Actually, I might be slightly invoking the Thornton Rule with this one. Jake Thackray was well known in the UK, but I don't think his popularity extended much beyond British shores. He DID visit the States, but he always preferred to perform in smaller venues, so probably never received much publicity. I was fortunate enough to see him perform live, later in his career. His style was difficult to categorise, but his songs were wonderfully witty and delivered in a lugubrious baritone Yorkshire accent, whilst accompanying himself on a nylon-strung guitar. He died at the ridiculously young age of 64 in 2002. This is one of his most popular songs and here is a link to the great (and rather dishy) Mr. Thackray performing the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE-BKrAAZGc

Ahoy there.
I have tried posting this message a few times but the forum keeps saying "forbidded. Sender blacklisted".........
Let's see if it works if I change some privacy settings...
I swear that I have done nothing that justifies being blacklisted.
Anyway...
In the 90s a band called Dynamite Hack covered Eazy-E's song Boyz-n-the-Hood from Ez's solo album (the song was written by Ice Cube)
I asked a few people at work and most had heard of neither Ez nor the band.
So, here is my cover of a cover

Last edited:

This gave me a lot of trouble which I think is clear from the video. The original song has a nice instrumental bit but I think I already stretched myself enough!

Well, here is a nice twist this week - recognition!

I did a song by one of my favorite-yet-still-lesser-known musicians, Rob Fetters. And he saw the version and liked it. Evidentially, so much so that he even posted a link to it on his own page, where it has gotten quite a few likes. Coolio!

Well, here is a nice twist this week - recognition!

I did a song by one of my favorite-yet-still-lesser-known musicians, Rob Fetters. And he saw the version and liked it. Evidentially, so much so that he even posted a link to it on his own page, where it has gotten quite a few likes. Coolio!

congratulations King!

I did this song for the Seasonista open mic today. This was one of my favorite songs of 2020, by Anjimile. I probably first heard it on the KEXP.org weekly new music podcast.

In 2001, a bunch of musicians from The Mavericks, Cheap Trick, and Wilco (plus Todd Rundgren's keyboardist) got together and made a great album of '60s-'70s style pop called "Catch-all". They called their band Swag. This is one of the songs from that album.

this, a band that are virtual unknowns, even in their home country. they released a few songs back in 2016
to a lukewarm reception - the sounds of crickets and tumbleweeds rolling etc -
and nothing else since. no idea what they're up to now.

Back to the scene ;) and killing two birds with one stone
1st - this season. Element of crime is a north German band, since decades well known ... but mainly in northern Germany.
Many songs of Sven Regener are melancholy reflections on love, with a glimmer of hope or the hint of an end. He surprises with lyrical brevity and shortens complicated facts into picturesque analogies ("Shaws of horror", I took monosyllabic "Shaws" instead of "Walmart", EDEKA is a supermarket here)

And 2nd - Theme of Feb. in our board "on the road again ...which mean of transport?"

"Tramway of death", subtitled.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Feels like forever since I've posted on here. Had a lot of stress/family drama the last few months resulting in me having to move twice. It had been a bit of a rough holiday for me, and work as a nurse never stops especially during a pandemic. I rarely get sick so I tend to have to pick up extra shifts, but luckily I had my second vaccine a week ago! Anyway, I really wanted to make a video for the last few weeks, the themes were so engaging, but was unable. Now that we are all settled and things are starting to brighten, Kev and I have this perhaps unknown song for ya'll. Keeping Me Awake by Tarkio. Percussion added by Kev's friend, Richard. Thanks guys for the help on the collab. Kev's parts are awesome as usual! I strummed my sopranissimo uke, Freckles, sang, and made the art in OpenCanvas. Mandala based artwork because I find them calming to create, and also I want to start an herb garden soon at our new home. Hope ya'll enoy it!

Last edited:
Seems it has been a very long time since I have participated. Arthritis gets worse every day. I still try to play as much as I can though! So my entry for this week is a song by David Francy. If you like good singer songwriter folk songs you’re gonna love this guy.

Hey everyone! Feels like forever since I've posted on here. Had a lot of stress/family drama the last few months that resulting in me having to move twice. It had been a bit of a rough holiday for me, and work as a nurse never stops especially during a pandemic. I rarely get sick so I tend to have to pick up extra shifts, but luckily I had my second vaccine a week ago! Anyway, I really wanted to make a video for the last few weeks, the themes were so engaging, but was unable. Now that we are all settled and things are starting to brighten, Kev and I have this perhaps unknown song for ya'll. Keeping Me Awake by Tarkio. Percussion added by Kev's friend, Richard. Thanks guys for the help on the collab. Kev's parts are awesome as usual! I strummed my sopranissimo uke, Freckles, sang, and made the art in OpenCanvas. Mandala based artwork because I find them calming to create, and also I want to start an herb garden soon at our new home. Hope ya'll enoy it!

This is a very pleasant song and you’ve done a studio quality job! Fantastic!

Top Bottom