Angelina the Baker with thumbpick on low G ukulele

Mirek Tim Patek

Reaction score
Until now all ukulele videos of Angelina the Baker on YouTube are in clawhammer style on high G.

The melody of my version is played with the thumbpick (and little help of index fingerpick at the syncopated note) on low G ukulele.

I like your style!

And thanks for the mini-tutorial at the end.

-Wiggy

Very nice, I like those old-time fiddle tunes!

Thanks to all of you for kind words. I played with fingerpicks on tenor banjo and tried to immitate (as every fingerpicking banjo player) the picking patterns of 5-string banjo hero Earl Scruggs. Then I moved to ukulele where I can also strum with my thumbpick and I try to learn from the right hand of bluegrass guitar player and lead singer Lester Flatt.

In this video both of them play guitar, watch how the lead singer plays boom - chick with his thumb and little (but important) help of index fingerpick. It is lost art in the world of bluegrass guitar as everybody now plays with flatpick for better solo runs.

How would you describe your thumb pick. Hard--Medium--Soft?? Or is thickness in mm??

I do not even know that the thumbpicks are classified according to the hardness like the flatpicks. I choose them only according the size (Small--Medium--Large).

Actually, the thumbpick used in this video has some special feature - its tip is little bit twisted so the blade tries to be perpendicular to the strings even if my thumb is not - when it picks some treble string like E or even A. It is called Zookies L-10, made by Dunlop. The number 10 is for the angle and I see there are even more twisted options 20 and 30.
https://www.stringsbymail.com/dunlop-l-10-zookies-thumb-pick-large-10-tip-angle-one-pick-20892.html

That just sounds absolutely amazing. As in very FULL sounding for a 4 string arrangement. This is the type of style I want to play as well.

Top Bottom