Hello from Austin!

missbrea

Reaction score
Hi! I've been lurking on this forum a bit and thought I should introduce myself. I'm a homeschooling mama who has been focused on music for my son. After great progress with the piano he asked for a stringed instrument (he handled a friend's guitar and loved it) so I did some research and bought him an Enya Nova. He likes it pretty well - but I am completely enchanted! So now I'm shopping for something a bit fancier for myself, while using his Nova to take online lessons for myself.

I grew up in a very musical household but was intimidated by guitar - this feels so much more "me." The ukulele is like this magical little music box of an instrument.

Welcome MissBrea from Sparta, Wisconsin. Happy to have you join our Forum.

Ukuleles are very talented instruments. They are very versatile and able to do most things demanded of them.

Enjoy the search for your new instrument. We can offer a wide range of opinions and recommendations. ;) So, if you do ask, it helps if you narrow down the parameters such as size, neck shape, type of music you will mostly play, whatever. Otherwise, research the reviews. Try some instruments if you can. Have fun.

Keep Austin Weird. I enjoyed the city very much. Especially all of the live music on offer.

Welcome to UU, missbrea!
You've discovered that the uke is charming and unassuming, yet full of surprises. The Enya Nova is a good instrument to start on, to travel with. It's very low maintenance. Maybe it will be a while before you can visit music stores to try out different sizes and so. Until it is safe, you can watch the marketplace here, check out members' New Uke Day posts, and learn what other players find important or not.

Welcome from just outside Houston. My daughter wanted to learn guitar and I got a uke to keep her company. It's great how our kids are enabling us to explore more things!

Welcome aboard MissBrea and hello from Chicago. Looking forward to your posts.

Welcome! So nice that this is something you can share with your family.

I also have the Nova U concert as well as an earlier camp uke that they made in high pressure laminate. Enya makes some nice wooden ukuleles as well, if you would like to stay with that brand.

Welcome Miss Brea

Of course, you love the Uke! A perfect instrument for these times!
By the way, I lived in Austin for many, many years and still have friends there.

Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I've been so enjoying perusing this forum and learning all about ukuleles. I have been listening to sound samples instead of reading the news and it's been such an improvement to my mental health! It would be lovely if I could try them in person but this way works too.

Hi, I’m in Austin, too. Not a homeschooling mama myself, but in a way, because my son was coincidentally in my class last year, ha! When they go back in person hopefully this fall, you should check out the Austin Ukulele Society meetings. They are so much fun!

Welcome! Are you aware of The Austin Ukulele Society? Check it out. Perhaps we will meet there one day.

Top Bottom