Recording using Audacity

plunker

Reaction score
On my older computer, it was a Toshiba (don't recall the model) laptop I would plug into the pick up and then into the computer and all would be well. Recording was good, even got to the point where I could record an accompaniment with the 8 string and mix them. Very elementarily but still.

That computer is not gone, my new computer is a Dell 3600. I installed Audacity, but now when I try to record, all the ambient noise is picked up as well. Is there a setting for the input I need to change.

How are you going from the uke to the laptop? It sounds like it might be recording from a built in mic or webcam

First, Jim,you have been such a great help on so many questions I have had, thank you. Glad your here.
I was running a cable from the uke to the computer, and into the "mic" hole on the computer, same as with the Toshiba.with

Unfortunately I think you're out of my experience. I'm surprised the mic input works but I see it is an accepted method:
https://www.wikihow.com/Plug-a-Guitar-Into-a-Laptop

I've always used an audio interface connected to a USB port.

I've also not used Audacity except in passing and very long ago.

But having said that, your suspicion has to be correct that the audio input is configured incorrectly either in Audacity or possibly the laptop's audio settings since you are recording through its onboard sound card.

Sorry I can't be of more specific help this time.

I am more surprised that it worked on your Toshiba than that it didnt work on the Dell.

I know nothing of recording instruments with a pickup, but I once tried to put a microphone into a "mic in" port on a Dell laptop, and was dissapointed. No sound. That would require what I believe is called phantom power in the mic port, that could power the mic - or in your case the pickup in the uke. Perhaps the Toshiba had a bit of phantom power, but most laptops dont.

You need a device that can send a powered signal before the mic in port will detect it. I am not sure what the expect the average laptop user to connect since they put in this port.

Like Jim suggests, you probably want an USB interface.
Again, I know nothing of pickups, amps etc. But just for couriosity - if you have a preamp or something else to power the pickup, you could try to put it in between the uke and the mic in port. If this is dangerous somehow, someone more sawwy please speak up.

First thing to try is selecting your input, your mic & any other possibles will be listed.

EDIT > PREFERENCES > DEVICES > RECORDING > DEVICE

I normally use a USB mic, but have also used my 3.5mm jack, you have to select which you want to use.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity - you didn't mention your Operating System.
Is it the same on both the older and newer computers?

Since the first post the computer I was on crashed. Got a new on. Recording seems fine, playback is choppy with holes in it. The vibrations on the graph don't have the spaces so I am guessing its the playback. Still playing with speaker settings

How I used to record....

On an acoustic, I'd use a separate USB mic; with my electric & electro acoustic, I'd plug into my amp & put the mic in front of it; in both cases the mic would be about a foot away.

Top Bottom