Player and builder in Central PA

jcwukes

Reaction score
My name is John, and I live in York, PA. I've played guitar for over 45 years, and ukulele for the past 5 or so.

I learned guitar repair through quite a bit of trail & error, born out of frustration with the quality of the repair work that I was sometimes having done by others. There were a few instruments that I had work done on that, when I got the instrument back, the work was sloppy.

In March of 2017, I spent a week up in Hegins, PA taking a building class with John Hall of Blues Creek Guitars. He guided me, step by step through the building process. At the end of a very intense week, I had a wonderful 00-size 12-fret guitar, and a new friend and mentor.

That summer, I approached my employer about switching to part time (kind of like semi-retirement), and my guitar repair business began. I worked 2 nights a week, and the rest of week I set up shop. Then COVID-19 happened. Because the transportation industry was considered essential, and my wife's job was possibly in limbo, I returned to work full time.

I changed my shop name and configuration from "Guitar Repair" to "Guitars and Ukuleles" and that's what I do now. I built my first few ukuleles from kits for friends and family. All but one were tenors. Then I built my first custom tenor ukulele for a friend. Now I'm turning my attention to concerts and sopranos.

The building goes slowly because of my work schedule, but slow progress is still progress.
That's a lot of info. If you made it this far, thanks for your interest.

Peace.

Last edited:
Hey John!

Greetings from Harrisburg, PA! I'm always glad to see builders in my area. You never know when you might need a repair...or a new ukulele! If you get a chance to post some photos of your creations, I'd love to see them.

Welcome to the forums, John. I am a frequent traveler to Pittsburgh to see family. Your custom builds sound intriguing, good luck on your building.

Welcome to UU, John!
Glad you are able to make some progress, whilst keeping your main job in these mad times!

Hi John! Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you have already found the part of the Forum dedicated to luthiers. But, if not...

Best of luck with your business.

Last edited:
Top Bottom