Happy National Ukulele Day!

Does anyone happen to know when/how today, Feb 2nd, became National Ukulele Day in the US? I did a quick search and came up mostly empty handed, but I would love to know.

Happy Ukulele Day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 24
I have no idea why it's on Groundhog Day ... but it is.

It's a UAS thing. If your uke casts a shadow on Feb 2nd, it retreats to its case so you have the option of buying up to 6 new ukes that year. If it is gloomy and doesn't cast a shadow then you need to play one of the ukes you already have to bring some sunshine into the day! ;)

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know when/how today, Feb 2nd, became National Ukulele Day in the US? I did a quick search and came up mostly empty handed, but I would love to know.

If I had to guess, it's probably a lot like Hallmark making up a bunch of special days in order to sell greeting cards. My guess is that it's just a random date chosen to celebrate and raise awareness about the ukulele rather than something that commemorates something actually meaningful about the uke.

Correct rainbow21. He lived in a temperate climate. Feb 2nd is the day of the worst weather of the year here. Last year we froze our tushes off playing outdoors, this year it's virtual. I'm glad, weather's even nastier now.

"Play loud and proud. I am a ukulele player!" I shouted to my mirror whilst strumming my tenor.

My mirror didn't answer... :rolleyes:

"Play loud and proud. I am a ukulele player!" I shouted to my mirror whilst strumming my tenor.

My mirror didn't answer... :rolleyes:

My wife thinks I look cool with a guitar and goofy with a uke. But I don't care. I play proud and project it image of an overweight, largish guy with a tiny uke. Hey, I'm warried and with children; I don't care how I look anymore... I'm just here enjoying life.

Maybe I can blame ukulele day for my purchase of a new Mainland Cedar/rosewood baritone? I did sell one ukulele last month so I'm even. Right????

from the internet:

"World Ukulele Day was first declared by 'Ukulele Mike' (Mike Lynch) in 2011 as a day to play or celebrate ukulele in any way you choose."

Correct! It was a personal initiative of his, and he never explained in that youtube video why he picked that date. There is speculation that 2/2 refers to the number of strings, but he never confirmed that kind of numerologic explanation. August 23rd makes much more sense. He did call it 'world', not 'national'.

Correct! It was a personal initiative of his, and he never explained in that youtube video why he picked that date. There is speculation that 2/2 refers to the number of strings, but he never confirmed that kind of numerologic explanation. August 23rd makes much more sense. He did call it 'world', not 'national'.
Just for clarification: in other videos, Mike Lynch explained it was because that was the date George Harrison visited Jim Beloff in 1999, and left him a letter explaining why everyone should learn to play the ukulele (paraphrasing Pete Seeger as well as Charlie Brown: playing a musical instrument makes you a better person).

Top Bottom