What concerns would you have? eBay "Seller Refurbished"

TQuest

Reaction score
Wasn't sure which sub-forum this question belonged, but "Buying Tips" sounded reasonable...

I spotted this "Seller Refurbished" Koaloha on eBay being sold by Ukulele Lab.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265034071643?ul_noapp=true

I have bought a ukulele from them recently, so I have trust in them.

However, I am not an experienced ukulele buyer/owner, so what concerns should I have about a ukulele that is Seller Refurbished? Especially one that has gone through a repair/refurbishment and is described as:

"...has been dropped and had damage to the corner so I have glued the affected area and then modified to it with a bevel. The uke then has been sprayed to a satin finish. The structure and playability of the uke is not affected."

No mention about how the repair/refurbish affected the sound.

It looks as if that repair is on the back, so it would not really be seen and would not affect sound. If it looks ok to you and doesn't bother you and if you want it to play then it is probably ok. If you were eventually hoping to resell, it would be worth somewhat less than a pristine instrument. You could always ask for the option to return so you can see it in person.

Looks like a pretty big repair, so you have to really trust their luthier skills on maintaining the integrity (durability, playability, and sound quality) of the instrument. You are getting a big discount on the price now, so maybe it is worth the risk. If you do resell it, I'm sure the next buyer will expect a big discount on the the price as well.

If it doesn't bother you how it looks then that would be one concern less. Personally, the KSM is too nice of a uke to be butchered like that for me.

I have visited the ukulele lab store and the owner does some luthiery as well as has his own stock of woods which KoAloha uses to build custom instruments for his store. I assume that the uke is offered at significant discount. So ask for detailed pictures, sound sample, as well as option to return without cost if you are not happy. Also make sure that KoAloha warranty applies for rest of the uke, so an email from KoAloha should confirm that.

Update - I looked at the auction and it was a super deal. Looks like he sold it through his store though. With deals like that they go quick and there's no time to ask for advice.

Last edited:
The auction has ended. Did you buy it?

Looks like a okdeal; I don't think it is a great deal because the damage seemed significant (e.g. if the neck joint weakened, any other stressed areas besides the repaired hole (I assume) on the lower bout?

Bidding ended on the ukulele a couple hours after my original post. I did not buy the ukulele, because of the uncertainty. I'm sure if I had a chance to handle and play it, it would help my decision-making but, alas, it is in Hawaii and I'm not.

Top Bottom