NUD or NGD : Romero Creations Baritone 6

Sure. If you're not familiar with flat wound, then the strings you are used to are round wound. If you look really closely, you can see the ridges because the outer wire is round. This is cheaper and easier but produces a string more prone to noise as you rub along the ridges. With flat wound, the outer wire is a ribbon wrapped around the inner core with the flat side out so you end up with a string much smoother. It's also generally stiffer and with a tone not as bright.

If you can get on his schedule, I highly recommend Jonathan Dale. AFAIK, his prices are still a good bit under your budget and he can make the string spacing however you like. I know he does 19" or 20" and like I said, Terz is easily achieved with standard classical guitar sets.

If you want to try a narrow 19" for a whole lot less, try the Cordoba C1m 1/4 size. Elderly lists it for $159 but out of stock. It's laminate so a little on the quiet side but not a bad sound at all.

I have some videos on both. I can find and post the links if you're interested.

I would like to see the videos, when you have time.

Last edited:
That Pepe mentioned this instrument was designed for G to G tuning is helpful.
Also helpful is your description of how the Aquila guilele strings performed.
Thanks!
Do you have the model name &/or specs for the Medina Artigas your Romero B6 nylon came with? They make many many models of strings, have 28 models of just classical alone https://www.medinaartigas.com.ar/eng/guitarra_clasica.html

I tried the Aquila strings tuned A to A. They were bad. Volume was very soft and sustain was very poor. Especially on the 1st string. Tension was too high. If I had heard the uke like this in a store I wouldnt have bought it. The strings come in a pack with strings unsealed and so the wound ones had some tarnish/oxidation on them. They wound the TOP 3 and bottom 3 together with no numbering. I wouldn’t recommend them. Tuned down G it sounded better but was a bit on the thin side.

The B6 came with string from a brand called Medina Artigas. A name I am totally unfamiliar with. Apparently from Argentina. But the string have a very good and nice sound. I wouldn’t have changed it except for the fact that it was tune to E(very hard gauge). I might hunt for some of their medium gauge ones and try to see how high I can tune them to.

Thank you for the string recommendations. I will try to find them. In my part of the woods some string Brand’s are very hard to find. And shipping from the US for some reason is very expensive. Kanile’a quoted me $36 for shipping a set of strings, not including the strings! ��

I have been corresponding with Pepe. And he did mentioned that this B6 is actually designed for G tuning. I am not sure how much that affects it.

Last edited:
UG2 specs?

Hi PF,
I very much appreciated your thorough reviews of the Romero Creations Baritone 6 nylon & the TT6. Right down to the patches on the cases, LOL. Those reviews & your comments are helpful. Your deep classical background (day job, career) lend a lot of credibility.

I recently took a chance to get a used B6N. I think it was a good transaction despite mild buzzing on string 3 / G, & the overall tension w/ UG2s. Not remotely a dealbreaker though I am looking for solutions.

For the B6N, if you tried E to E tuning, did you find anything less floppy than the stock UG2 strings?
Do you know the specs for the UG2 set? Can't seem to find them posted anywhere.

For others on the same quest for E to E strings for this specific instrument, I took a quick look at specs of strings 1-3 on a set of baritone uke strings from a brand I like (corresponds w/strings 1-3 on guitars those coming at this from ukes, not guitar backgrounds). They seem like a promising guideline.
Uke Logic Baritone Uke Hard Tension
1E = 0.023" | 2B = 0.028" | 3G = 0.036"

for (my own) reference Uke Logic Baritone Uke Soft Tension
1E = 0.019" | 2B = 0.025" | 3G = 0.032"

I have the Baritone 6 and have tried all sorts of strings and tunings on it. The best stock strings I've used are the Pepe Romero UG1:

1 = .021" | 2 = .026" | 3 = .0315" | 4 = .0275" | 5 = .034" | 6 = .042"

They're ideal for terz/G-G tuning but too tight for requinto/A-A. Even with a lighter custom set I found the Baritone 6 too high tension for A-1 tuning. My Baritone 6 review:

https://fraryguitar.com/romero_creations_baritone6_review.htm

@Bill1: do you own a Romero Baritone B6N & have you spent time playing it w/ UG2s tuned E to E?
If you don't own one & haven't spent time playing it w/ UG2s tuned E to E, then :confused: ?

There are multiple credible owners who have commented how UG2s / recommended strings tuned E to E are floppy, tension too low.

I would recommend using whatever strings Romero Creations recommend.

Last edited:
I know next to nothing on this topic, but are you saying long scale nylon strings last considerably shorter than short scale ones? I didn’t know that. I hate to ask, but how do fluorocarbon hold up?

That Pepe mentioned this instrument was designed for G to G tuning is helpful.
Also helpful is your description of how the Aquila guilele strings performed.
Thanks!
Do you have the model name &/or specs for the Medina Artigas your Romero B6 nylon came with? They make many many models of strings, have 28 models of just classical alone https://www.medinaartigas.com.ar/eng/guitarra_clasica.html

The strings that came on them were set 600. Super high tension cantata.

I have since purchased a set of the 550(orange packaging) I wanted to try flat wound string for less squeak but haven’t put them on yet.

I have been too busy playing my Thai Pi lately.

.You can probably get a fluorocarbon string for A3 D3 and G3 pitches (IE A to A bass), but they may be really fat and you may need to carve the grand canyon into the nut as well as deal with fat strings to get them to work..
No, I don't think that's possible to use flouro or nylon for A2 and D3 which would be the normal linear tuning pitches. But an all unwound tuning is possible if you're willing to go up an octave on the bottom 2 or 3 strings.

Top Bottom