like button or shaka button

Mike $

Reaction score
Can there please be a shaka button or a like button to show appreciation or approval of a comment without having to reply or leave a comment? This way we can participate in a conversation even if we don't have anything new to contribute to it. It would be much nicer than having to quote something and write the incredibly silly "This" underneath it.

Last edited:
I waffle on this, but ultimately, like it the way it is. A documentary talked about how FBook put this in to "addict" users to seeing who liked their posts and people craved more and more likes (and how many followers do you have?). A thumbs up button would make it more like social media and less like a forum. Anyone wanting to agree can post a reply and their own thoughts.

I waffle on this, but ultimately, like it the way it is. A documentary talked about how FBook put this in to "addict" users to seeing who liked their posts and people craved more and more likes (and how many followers do you have?). A thumbs up button would make it more like social media and less like a forum. Anyone wanting to agree can post a reply and their own thoughts.

I thumbs up your post.

Pretty sure "what you see is what you get" here at UU. One thing I like about UU we are not beholden to social media behavior and get to write actual comments like your parents did on AOL in the 1990s!

My opinion...

If you like a post, please take the time to reply. It is much more personal/meaningful than a generic "like".
It does not have to be a dissertation, a simple thank you will do.

Your Mileage May Vary

It saddens me that voicing a differing opinion constitutes mockery.

It is immaterial whether we agree or disagree as long as we converse as adults.

UU is unique in the fact that there is very little silliness here.

Pretty sure "what you see is what you get" here at UU. One thing I like about UU we are not beholden to social media behavior and get to write actual comments like your parents did on AOL in the 1990s!

Hey, I resemble that remark! :mad: :biglaugh:

I honestly hate the way Facebook operates, hiding replies, one long waste of time scrolling to find something. I'm very happy with the UU forum, though I have thought once in a while about having a LIKE choice. I also use the Talk Bass forum, which has likes and notifications when you get a reply and even if your name is mentioned, which I like, and it also has a very similar UU interface, so much better than Facebook. I actually don't maintain my own Facebook home page, I keep a bookmark for the two Facebook pages in which I'm interested, the leader of my uke group and UBassFreaks (which is the one that's most difficult to maneuver).

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I know everyone is different, but I much prefer there to be no like button. I hate FB, and have still never created an account on there.
On another forum I've been a member of for years (geekhack.org) we usually just reply to a comment we agree with/like with a "+1" or thumbs up emoji.

I like how on here we have the I agree emoji.

write actual comments like your parents did on AOL in the 1990s!
Oy. I don't usually feel old on this forum, but you got me there! My first online forums were BBSes and then Usenet in the 80s. Never did AOL as it was too consumery. Work did have us on Compuserve for a bit.

I’m of a similar mind to the above. I’m sure that there are merits to a like button but on balance I believe things are best as they are. It’s all academic anyway, we’re much more in danger of loosing UU than it being ‘enhanced’ in any way. If at some point the site owner has any time and money to spare then I’d have thought that sorting out the text cutting issue on UU would be a clearly deserving priority.

Last edited:
I wonder why you say we are in danger of loosing UU? I have heard nothing about this, but maybe you have some facts that I don't. Please enlighten us. Thanks.

I don’t think that I could give you details on that anymore, I don’t remember them, but a while back (maybe a year before you joined the forum?) the site owner asked us all to migrate to anther platform and explained some of his difficulties. Hopefully someone else will point you towards the relevant posts.

I don’t think that I could give you details on that anymore, I don’t remember them, but a while back the site owner asked us all to migrate to anther platform and explained some of his difficulties. Hopefully someone else will point you towards the relevant posts.

This is a sticky at the top of the forum. There was a parallel discussion thread which resulted in some of us signing up as VIP members to help support this forum financially rather than migrate over to Discord, which has an entirely different format and would lose all the old threads that you could search for here.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?144414-Please-move-to-our-new-Discord-Server

Top Bottom