Edelweiss (The Sound of Music)

I saw this one coming, John. :) A lovely tribute to a man who entertained a great many people in his lifetime.

Thanks, Jan! I liked him in the mini-series, "The Thornbirds," too!

So sad that all the stars that we grew up with are leaving us one by one.

In 1969, I was picked up while hitch-hiking in Ireland by a hammered dulcimer player. He told me that he'd been in a movie made in Kilkenny with Christopher Plummer in it called Lock Up Your Daughters. It wasn't a really great movie, but I saw it at least three times just so I could see Andy Dowling playing the dulcimer while the folks of the town danced in a circle around him.
Andy Dowling sepia.jpg
Here's Andy in a parking lot in New Ross.

Christopher Plummer in Lock Up Your Daughters.jpg
Here's Christopher Plummer as Lord Foppington in Lock Up Your Daughters. He played a real fop and his character was nothing like any of his other roles.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that, Jim. I searched for Andy Dowling playing dulcimer on YouTube, but no luck. Funny to see Christopher Plummer in that photo!

I’m beginning to think that there’s no genre of song out there that you CAN’T sing and play well John - a great job here yet again mate. It certainly IS sad that we’re losing so many of the ‘heroes’ we all grew up with; but that’s just the natural order of life I suppose. X

Thanks, Dave! I have a fondness for musicals. Lots of good songs for ukulele!

John,

Nice version of this song. We just watched the movie a few nights ago, and I watched Mr. Plummer in the remake of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" last week. What a long and diverse career he had. Thanks for sharing your songs with us - much appreciated.

Bill

I really enjoyed that John. Christopher Plummer was a remarkable actor and he gotby as a singer, but that's not where his talents lay.
Maggie and I last saw him in Caesar & Cleopatra at Stratford Ontario. We bought an autographed copy of his biography, In Spite Of Myself, the same weekend in Stratford. My sister lives in Stratford and, at the time, worked at the theatre.

Christopher Plummer bio.jpg Christopher Plummer  autograph.jpg

Last edited:
John,

Nice version of this song. We just watched the movie a few nights ago, and I watched Mr. Plummer in the remake of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" last week. What a long and diverse career he had. Thanks for sharing your songs with us - much appreciated.

Bill

Thanks, Bill! I'll check out "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"! :)

I really enjoyed that John. Christopher Plummer was a remarkable actor and he gotby as a singer, but that's not where his talents lay.
Maggie and I last saw him in Caesar & Cleopatra at Stratford Ontario. We bought an autographed copy of his biography, In Spite Of Myself, the same weekend in Stratford. My sister lives in Stratford and, at the time, worked at the theatre.

View attachment 132147 View attachment 132148

Thanks, Jim! Yesterday I watched a number of his interviews on YouTube. He was a great pianist as well. Truly a talented man! :)

Thanks for this. Just lovely.

Thanks, TQuest! I really appreciate it! :)

Thanks, Bill! I'll check out "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"! :)

Mr. Plummer had a supporting role in that movie, and it's a dark story - definitely not a movie for the young grandchildren. Also, he was in 2019's "Knives Out" with Daniel Craig (again).
Back to your version of "Edelweiss" - good job, John!

Mr. Plummer had a supporting role in that movie, and it's a dark story - definitely not a movie for the young grandchildren. Also, he was in 2019's "Knives Out" with Daniel Craig (again).
Back to your version of "Edelweiss" - good job, John!

Bill, I found a scene from the movie with Christopher Plummer:

Thanks, Joseph! If you define a favorite movie as one that you've watched the most times, for me "The Sound of Music" is right there behind "The Godfather" and "It's a Wonderful Life." :)

Top Bottom