Neck options

jcwukes

Reaction score
In the world of guitar building, it is entirely possible to build guitars without ever carving a neck, or routing for a neck joint. You can purchase ready made necks from multiple suppliers along with a matching neck block already routed for your neck joint of choice, i.e., mortise & tenon, dovetail or Spanish heel.

In the ukulele world, you don't have as many options. I get the impression that most builders carve their own necks. The only other options that I've been able to find are made in China. LMI does have one ukulele neck. It's Honduran Mahogany, and comes in any size you want as long as you want soprano.

I'm working on improving my neck carving skills, but with my work schedule, my shop time is limited. Are there any options that I've overlooked?

Last edited:
That's about all the options I've found for pre-carved necks. I've never tried one of the Chinese made necks, but they are not an option because they appear to have a flat heal and I radius the top of the body there. I've always wondered why LMI only offers an option for sopranos when tenors are more popular as a home build. Anyway, carving a neck isn't that hard and it is kinda fun. Almost like sculpture and not as constricted as other parts of the build. You get better at it with time.

I'm working on improving my neck carving skills, but with my work schedule, my shop time is limited. Are there any options that I've overlooked?

Quit work. There are more important things in life.

Top Bottom